1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting new carpet, how to hide wires

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChrisHeflen, Apr 2, 2004.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I am replacing the carpet in my room where my HT is (not dedicated).
    My "rack" is in the back corner of my room so I run the cables from there, under the house, and up through a small hole in the front corner of my room for the fronts and tv connections. My sub is in front of this so no one really sees it.
    I wanna clean this up a bit. If I bundle all my wires together it is about an inch and a half diameter thick.

Any ideas on how I could get them up through the floor and along the wall. I think it's too thick to tuck under the baseboards?

Thanks

2. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’m not sure I get it, Chris. The wiring is not visible in the room; that’s the ultimate goal for an attractive installation, and you’ve accomplished that. Who cares what it looks like under the house? My wiring runs through the attic. I didn’t bother to make it all attractive and neat so the A/C repair guy would be impressed.

I can see that under a house you might be concerned about exposure to things like rodents. If that’s the case, you could run the cabling inside PVC conduit.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I'm not concerned about under the house. Just the part about coming up through the floor. I wanna make that look a bit more professional or less cheesey.
    It's like, here is a bunch of wires coming up through this hole in the floor.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You could wrap the bundle with flex-guard, the black plastic spiraled stuff they use under the hoods of cars. It might be hard to find some that big at the auto parts store, though. You might check electronics hobbyist outlets like Parts Express and MCM Electronics.

Another alternative would be something called tech-flex (I think), which is a flexible braided sleeve. It should accommodate a 1-1/2” bundle with no problem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt