What's new

getting my new rear projection today - need help with settings (1 Viewer)

Tom#B

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba 46H84 is being delivered today. This is my first rear projection set. I have read a lot on this forum, and it has helped a ton. But I'd love to hear some basic advice about initial steps I should take. For example, which setting should I turn down, and generally to what level? What auto-convergence tests should I run? And at what point should I run Avia or VE?

I am sitting at work with that same feeling I've heard so many others describe. I can't wait for the set to arrive. I'll be sure to let everyone know my thoughts on this set.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
When you get your new tv, just set your contrast or picture down to half way or less. You can use Avia or VE as soon as you get your set. Usually the first 100 hours the picture will adjust and settle. This is the break in period. You will need to adjust your settings with Avia or VE as times goes on, unless you get it professionally calibrated.

Have fun with your new set.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Start with the 'movie' setting, this should set the color temperature to 6500K, and also set brightness and contrast at a lower setting by default. You'll still need to use Avia or Video Essentials to set the color and tint correctly.

At that point, after the set has warmed up, go to the convergence screen and check the convergence of picture tubes starting with the crosshair in the middle and working your way to the outer corners. You may want to purchase the service manual (around $20 or so), or look online if it's available, and find out how to access the service menu to adjust horizontal and vertical size for minimal overscan (

Tom#B

Stunt Coordinator
Tim and Perry, thanks so much. I printed both of your responses, and I'll be sure to use them. My TV should arrive in about 2 hours. Thanks again.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks