Getting my HT and my PC to play nice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Peter Doten, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Agent

This is more of a "affirm my assumption" than a question but here it goes.

I have my PC conected to my pre/pro via a toslink cable. The PC I built myself, and I will admit I am a bit more knowledgeable about PC's than HT stuff. The digital output seems to work ok for the most part, all 2 channel sources play fine, and I got the PC to pass Dolby Digital through. It took a little work but I got it, originally it tried decoding that itself but for obvious reasons I didn't want that.

The "issuse" I am having is getting any of my games to work in 5.1 or any kind of "surround sound". From what I have researched so far it appears that for games all the decoding is done by the software, and thus the only way to get any kind of surround sound is to use analog outputs from the soundcard. Is this true? Are there perhaps some sound cards that would upconvert or reprocess the signal from the game and be able to pass it on to the receiver to be decoded as DD or something similar?

I have tried a few newer games (Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry) and all have had the same results.

As a point of reference I am using the on-board sound on my Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard which does have 7.1 outputs.

2. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

There are a couple of sound cards that do on the fly dolby encoding. An example is the Mystique.

There are also a couple of motherboards that do real-time DD encoding.

3. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

If your soundcard has digital out, use that connection and let the receiver do the decoding.

4. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Rommel_L, you cant use the digital out for games. They dont encode in DD or DTS. As stated above, there are cards and motherboards (intel new HD audio chip or the older nforce2 MB's) that encode it in real time for output via your digital connection. If you dont want to spend money, use the digital out for movies and the 7.1 outputs from the MB for games.

5. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Agent

Thanks, I guess I have to decide whether I want to run a bunch of analog wires or buy a new soundcard. I am using the onboard now, so that probably wouldn't be the worst thing.

6. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Peter, did you ever get this solved? I made a simular post the other day and I have pretty much the exact same problem.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS sound card and I have it plugging into the Coaxal digital input of my reciever using a mono cable with a 3.55mm plug on one end for the sound card jack.

Using all passthroughs so the reciever is the only decoder, the only thing the receiver decodes in multichannel is a DVD if I play it on my DVD player. (Which I don't need to because my HT has a DVD player but I was just testing.) But ANY other output going to the receiever from the sound card is feed through my reciever in stereo ONLY. I can't use Pro Logic, surround of any kind.

For now I have just settled for how cool my PC looks on a 32 inch widescreen Sony LCD and I use headphones whenever I use my LCD that way my reciever becomes irrelevant. The sound is centered around me in my head! [​IMG]

7. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I have a Turtle Beach Montego DDL card on the way for this very purpose, 5.1 sound in games and WMDHD stuff.

Brian

8. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Agent

I bought the Turtle Beach Montego as well, just waiting for it to get here, once I get it I'll let you know the results.

9. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Agent

Well I got the turtle beach today, installed it. Works as advertised, which is definitely good for games. The only thing I wish was that you can make profiles for specific programs, so I could use DDL for games but use PCM out for music.

10. Adam Sanchez

You can have games in surround now from your RECEIVER or does the sound card do it? When I pass through my sound card (audigy 2 ZS) and use my recievers decoding, unless it's a DVD I am sending through from my PC DVD drive, all games and any sound to the reiever is ONLY in stereo. The reciever wont process it any other way. It only decodes the digital signal from the DVDs.

11. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Adam Sanchez, once again only card/MB's with Dolby digital Live, Nforce2 chipset, or intels HD audio can encode game audio in realtime.

12. Adam Sanchez

Audigy 2 Zs, which was one of Creative's Best Sound Cards, can't do it?

So I have to have my SOUND CARD process infomation into surround so my reciever can play it was such?