1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting movies to play in Korea....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaron E. Smith, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Howdy folks,

A friend of mine asked me a favor and, being the home theater fanatic among my friends, I felt I just had to try and fulfill his request. The problem is that this what he needs is somewhat narrow.

He is in Korea and would like the films to be dubbed into Korean with English subtitles. The films can be on either VCR or DVD, that apparently doesn't matter, although they would have to play on a Korean VCR of DVD player of course. The two films are: Reds & The Way We Were.

Does anyone have some leads for me? I'm a little stumped about where I can search for him, but I figured that if anyone out there can help me--and make me look like a hero
    :b --it would be you guys!

HomeTheaterForum RULES!!!!!

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Well, S. Korea uses NTSC IIRC so if you can find a VHS of what you want he should be ok. The DVD region code for S. Korea is Region 3 so unless he's got a region free player that's what you need to look for. Hong Kong is also Region 3 so you're best shot might be trying an online HK shop that also sells Western films like DDDHouse. If DDDHouse doesn't have what you want they are fairly quick to respond to emails & can tell you if it's even available.

FWIW the R1 DVD of The Way We Were has Korean subs IIRC, but no dub. As far as I know Reds isn't available on DVD anywhere.

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I have a lot of experience with Korean DVDs and I can't recall of any case where an American film was dubbed into Korean. All the ones I have seen are subtitled into Korean but not dubbed.

Jeff

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Actually, the one exception to this is animation. Things like Finding Nemo are indeed dubbed into Korean.

Jeff

5. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Sorry for the slow response, but I wanted to thank everyone for your information. I'm going to pass this on to my friend and maybe get him to come over and post a follow-up.

Thanks for your help! If anyone has any other leads I should pass on, please don't hesitate to post.

All the best>