What's new

Getting "Microsoft Office" onto laptop (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
3,757
Location
Oconomowoc, WI.
Real Name
Jim
My wife's HP laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium, but it does not have Microsoft Office" on it. What's the cheapest way to get it loaded onto her laptop? So far, we know no one who owns it. And which version do we need to work with Windows 7 Home Premium? Thanks.
 

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Moderator
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 20, 1999
Messages
16,516
Location
The Other Washington
Real Name
Adam
Any version of Office will work with any version of Windows 7. There are a couple of different versions:
c80c48dd_office.PNG


I wouldn't expect to pay those prices. You should also check with your employer. Most large companies have special deals for their employees. I work for AT&T and we had a deal recently where office was $10 for the license (we had to download the software). They also have some cloud based options: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/compare-plans.aspx You can also get a free Windows Live account (live.com) and using Sky Drive create, edit and save Office documents for free.
 

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
3,757
Location
Oconomowoc, WI.
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Adam. My wife works for a hospital, so I don't know if they would have that as an option. I'll check into these things. We are trying to avoid buying it, it's too expensive. What she needs it for is for Power Point demonstrations, if that changes anything.
 

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 28, 1998
Messages
8,817
You might want to consider Libre Office as a lower cost alternative. I haven't used the latest version (still using a slightly older version of Open Office) which is related. Depending upon the complexity of the documents with which you are working, and how much document sharing you have to do with others, this may be a viable alternative.
Check it out at www.libreoffice.org.
- Walter.
 

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Moderator
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 20, 1999
Messages
16,516
Location
The Other Washington
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc /t/322009/getting-microsoft-office-onto-laptop#post_3944970
Thanks Adam. My wife works for a hospital, so I don't know if they would have that as an option. I'll check into these things. We are trying to avoid buying it, it's too expensive. What she needs it for is for Power Point demonstrations, if that changes anything.
Does she need it to create power point presentations or play back existing ones. If its just to open and playback then they have free viewers.
 

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
3,757
Location
Oconomowoc, WI.
Real Name
Jim
Adam Gregorich said:
Does she need it to create power point presentations or play back existing ones.  If its just to open and playback then they have free viewers.
Thanks Adam. I think she needs it for both. I'll have her check into your link.
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
I just installed Office 2007 Home and Student version with no problems, just a ton of updates once you're online. Since I'm still officially a student got a pretty good price a few years ago and the university I go to didn't think there was enough difference/improvement to go to 2010. I think I paid around $75.
Same set up as your wife, new HP laptop, Windows 7 premium home edition, etc.
It's obviously not the full pro version (no Microsoft Publisher) but adequate for the basic student.
One bonus item is it can be installed on three systems, so no need for multiple copies.
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
So typical with technology today. I've always held off as long as possible on purchases, but what's the use, it's always moving forward.
My week old laptop is probably already old news. I would have held off longer, but when a system fatally crashes, don't have a lot of choice.
 

DaveF

Moderator
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2001
Messages
27,017
Location
Catfisch Cinema
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Stan /t/322009/getting-microsoft-office-onto-laptop#post_3950155
I just installed Office 2007 Home and Student version with no problems, just a ton of updates once you're online. Since I'm still officially a student got a pretty good price a few years ago and the university I go to didn't think there was enough difference/improvement to go to 2010. I think I paid around $75.
Same set up as your wife, new HP laptop, Windows 7 premium home edition, etc.
It's obviously not the full pro version (no Microsoft Publisher) but adequate for the basic student.
One bonus item is it can be installed on three systems, so no need for multiple copies.
If you care about such things, the Home & Student version isn't licensed for professional / commercial use.
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
DaveF said:
If you care about such things, the Home & Student version isn't licensed for professional / commercial use.
Seems like you are somewhat implying I'm trying to screw the system. I'm retired, going back to school and am a student. No professional or commercial use of the sotware at all.
Mentioned Microsoft Publisher only because a group of us had to do a presentation and I don't have that software, being as I'm a student and didn't purchase the full version. Some of the other students who could afford the full version ended up doing that portion of the presentation.
 

DaveF

Moderator
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2001
Messages
27,017
Location
Catfisch Cinema
Real Name
Dave
I'm not implying anything. It's something I've bumped into: my wife won't buy Home / Student version because she "can't" use it for her home business.

Most people don't have a small business that needs Office, or care about such things, let alone read licensing agreements. But if it's relevant, there you go.
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
DaveF said:
I'm not implying anything. It's something I've bumped into: my wife won't buy Home / Student version because she "can't" use it for her home business.
Most people don't have a small business that needs Office, or care about such things, let alone read licensing agreements. But if it's relevant, there you go.
Sorry that I took your comment personally, it was obviously meant to be informative.
I understand your wife not buying the home/student version and am glad she has the morals/ethics not to cheat the system. Microsoft has loads of money, but they also have loads of lawyers and with all the piracy, fake key codes, etc. they do fight back against illegal usage of their software. Much safer to just be up front about things and get the correct commercial version.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
351,512
Messages
4,955,729
Members
143,076
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks
0
Top