getting into it all

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_Hud, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Ben_Hud

Ben_Hud Stunt Coordinator

hey, im just getting into HTF.

Whats the real diference between traditional use of recievers and speakers compared to the new multimedia surround sound stuff (multiple inputs for both component and optical)like Klisph and Logitechs 5.1 (whos control sys, is much smaller than traditional recievers, but has digital decoding) systems (THX, DTS, dobly dig and all certified).

Ben Hudson, aim: topluck

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Are you talking about Music vs HT, or living room system vs computer system?

These are very broad things, but I'll focus on speakers:

Music speakers are about accuracy.

HT speakers are about impact.

Computer speakers are about .. video games and hybred, single-user HT systems.

Is this what you were talking about?

3. Ben_Hud

Ben_Hud Stunt Coordinator

ya thanks, points me in the right direction.

to answer the useage question well i wanted to use it for both my computer system and living room (in same room so figure can both use same speakers). I would like to use them for movies, games, and music (in that order). So I guess I should focus on a HQ computer speaker since they are considered hybrid.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, computer speakers are quite inferior indeed. They are small, self-powered usually, and generally poor sounding. Now, I am looking here specifically at Logitech's 5.1 Z-680s setup. My first reaction was "no, 5.1 speaker setups dont "do" dolby digital, they market them as being dolby digital ready." Dolby digital ready essentially means nothing. And so I was quickly proven wrong as they have:
    I tend to disagree with the statement somewhat, and would like to clarify a tad for you. There is nothing fundamentally different between HT and music speakers. I always evaluate speakers with music, because music usually is the hardest and most important thing that one is trying to reproduce in your system. There really aren't speakers out there that can do very well with movies, but can't with music. That being said, cheapo speakers, that would sound inferior with music, can still give you a pretty fun and good-sounding HT experience, and probably moreso with video games. A small HTIB can give a beginner a very nice HT experience, even if it fails miserably with music. I would not expect something like the aformentioned ( haha i love that word[​IMG] ) Logitech system to sound very good with music, but would probably do more than enough with video games, and movies from your computer. As always, listen for yourself, and let your ears decide. And always feel free to bring back more questions. Most of all, though, go to a real hifi store and take a listen to music and some movie scenes, not just the big box chain stores that sell mostly junk... e.g. CC, BB, etc.