Getting into Bowie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

In one of my trademark about-faces in music appreciation, I've started getting into Bowie. I never liked him before because all I heard was the stuff on the radio: Space Oddity (which I still hate) and that "plastic soul" stuff.

The first Bowie song I actually liked was Heroes. King Crimson perform it on one of their live albums. I looked into it and found that Fripp performs the guitar part on the Heroes album, too.

However, I bought Low first, I think because it was used and cheap. I like this one a lot. Sound and Vision is just a marvelous tune and I'm digging the Brian Eno ambient stuff because I've been listening to Robert Fripp's ambient music.

The next album I bought was Heathen, oddly enough. I heard good things about it. Except for a couple of weak songs, I like it overall.

Then I finally got around to getting Heroes. The songs aren't as strong as on Low (except for the title track), IMO, but it's an interesting listen. And, of course, it's always good to have another album where Fripp plays guitar.

Today I picked up Hunky Dory and am listening to it right now.

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Hunky Dory is a timeless classic IMHO. One of those special albums where everything just seemed to work out. Rick Wakeman's piano playing is simply great.
    "Sons Of The Silent Age" on Heroes is one of my all time favs. [​IMG]

3. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    You should definitely get 'Scary Monsters'. Robert Fripp does some excellent guitar playing on that album, especially on the first track ("It's No Game (part 1)").

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    You probably want to check out "Lodger" to complete your collection of Bowie's "Eno years".

Regards,

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Low was my favorite for a long time. I'm not the biggest fan of the earlier stuff. I like StationtoStation thru Scary Monsters
    which includes Low and Heroes that you have. If you like the sound of this period, do not miss Lodger and my current favorite StationtoStation (they are always changing, you may find that also)
    Station gorgeously flows, Bowie in a more croon style. Some of his best vocal work. This album is a showcase for his voice.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I actually have Lodger and forgot to mention it. It was the last one I got before Hunky Dory. I'm not feelin' it as much as the other two, though.

I will check out Scary Monsters. Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Stole the World are also on my to-get list.

7. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

the 30th anniversary edition of ziggy stardust comes out next tuesday btw[i can recommend it having bought the import which came out monday]

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

You've given me a lot of good advice Mike so let me return the favor. Buy Ziggy tomorrow.

Hunky Dory is a fantastic album. It starts off strong and gets better and better. Life on Mars? is my personal favorite on HD.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yeah, I liked Life on Mars, too.

Hunky Dory focuses more on Bowie's voice than the other albums I got, and Bowie isn't a particularly good singer. The song writing is strong. Maybe I'll get acclimated to his voice with time.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Alladin Sane and Ziggy Stardust make a great pair o' discs, with Alladin Sane being my favorite Bowie.

What's the scoop on the 30th Ann. edition of Ziggy? This is the first I 've heard of it...

-Dave

11. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

12. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Al, Bowie's singing is very herky-jerky and odd. But that's the way it's supposed to be. His vocal ability isn't anywhere near a Freddie Mercury but that's not his style, so it's OK. I'm not criticising his singing, because he has a unique sound and he uses it. There are plenty of singers who I'd say don't have much vocal ability but who I like a lot, like Bob Dylan and Ian Anderson.

NP: Frank Zappa, Return of the Son of Shut Up And Play Your Guitar, CD

14. andrew markworthy

Bowie has been through a lot of stylistic changes, and unless you become very very keen on him, the chances are that you won't like all his stuff with the same intensity.

Critics generally reckon that The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Low, and [forgotten the name of it - the one with Let's Dance on it] are the ones everyone should have. Personally, I liked him up to Low, and then the later stuff just didn't cut the mustard for me (though I can respect the later work).

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

16. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

What would anyone recommend getting first? I generally like the songs that play on the radio by Bowie, but I don't own any discs. I want to hear more of his stuff. Which disc would you recommend me getting first?

17. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

My first Bowie was ChangesBowie, the greatest hits album that came out simultaneously with the Sound and Vision box set. Since my favourites on that disc were "Heroes" and "Ashes to Ashes" (still my all-time favourite Bowie song), I started with Heroes and Scary Monsters. I have most of his albums, and find I like all of them (well, maybe not his 80s albums...).

Personal fave is Low, with Ziggy Stardust and Earthling also in the top five (with Heroes and Station to Station).

18. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

19. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

20. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I thought I was.