What's new

Getting into Bowie (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
In one of my trademark about-faces in music appreciation, I've started getting into Bowie. I never liked him before because all I heard was the stuff on the radio: Space Oddity (which I still hate) and that "plastic soul" stuff.

The first Bowie song I actually liked was Heroes. King Crimson perform it on one of their live albums. I looked into it and found that Fripp performs the guitar part on the Heroes album, too.

However, I bought Low first, I think because it was used and cheap. I like this one a lot. Sound and Vision is just a marvelous tune and I'm digging the Brian Eno ambient stuff because I've been listening to Robert Fripp's ambient music.

The next album I bought was Heathen, oddly enough. I heard good things about it. Except for a couple of weak songs, I like it overall.

Then I finally got around to getting Heroes. The songs aren't as strong as on Low (except for the title track), IMO, but it's an interesting listen. And, of course, it's always good to have another album where Fripp plays guitar.

Today I picked up Hunky Dory and am listening to it right now.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Hunky Dory is a timeless classic IMHO. One of those special albums where everything just seemed to work out. Rick Wakeman's piano playing is simply great.
"Sons Of The Silent Age" on Heroes is one of my all time favs. :emoji_thumbsup:

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
You should definitely get 'Scary Monsters'. Robert Fripp does some excellent guitar playing on that album, especially on the first track ("It's No Game (part 1)").

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Low was my favorite for a long time. I'm not the biggest fan of the earlier stuff. I like StationtoStation thru Scary Monsters
which includes Low and Heroes that you have. If you like the sound of this period, do not miss Lodger and my current favorite StationtoStation (they are always changing, you may find that also)
Station gorgeously flows, Bowie in a more croon style. Some of his best vocal work. This album is a showcase for his voice.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I actually have Lodger and forgot to mention it. It was the last one I got before Hunky Dory. I'm not feelin' it as much as the other two, though.

I will check out Scary Monsters. Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Stole the World are also on my to-get list.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
the 30th anniversary edition of ziggy stardust comes out next tuesday btw[i can recommend it having bought the import which came out monday]

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
You've given me a lot of good advice Mike so let me return the favor. Buy Ziggy tomorrow.

Hunky Dory is a fantastic album. It starts off strong and gets better and better. Life on Mars? is my personal favorite on HD.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I liked Life on Mars, too.

Hunky Dory focuses more on Bowie's voice than the other albums I got, and Bowie isn't a particularly good singer. The song writing is strong. Maybe I'll get acclimated to his voice with time.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Alladin Sane and Ziggy Stardust make a great pair o' discs, with Alladin Sane being my favorite Bowie.

What's the scoop on the 30th Ann. edition of Ziggy? This is the first I 've heard of it...

-Dave

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Bowie isn't a particularly good singer.
Huh? You are listening to David Bowie......right?
C'mon Mike, the guys a crooner in every sense of the word. Listen to "Word On A Wing" "Wild Is The Wind" "Rock And Roll Suicide" "Lady Stardust" "Move On" "Across The Universe" and a host of others.
Give it some time. The man's got some of the best pipes in the biz. You'll see.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
What's the scoop on the 30th Ann. edition of Ziggy? This is the first I 've heard of it...
The first disc contains the Stardust album, while the second disc contains these tracks:
"Moonage Daydream" (Arnold Corn version)
"Hang Onto Yourself" (Arnold Corn version)
"Lady Stardust" (demo)
"Ziggy Stardust" (demo)
"John, I'm Only Dancing" (non-album single)
"Velvet Goldmine" (b-side)
"Holy Holy" (b-side)
"Port of Amsterdam" (b-side)
"The Supermen" (alternate; b-side)
"Round and Round" (outtake)
"Sweet Head" (outtake)
"Moonage Daydream" (remix)
Basically, if you have the Rykodisc versions of Ziggy Stardust, The Man Who Sold the World, Pin-Ups, and the box set Sound + Vision, you have everything on the second disc of this set, since they are basically repackaging the bonus tracks found on the Ryko editions.
However, since the Ryko versions are OOP (which is a shame, btw; I always found their mixes to be warmer than the new reissues), it'd be worth your money to pick this up; some of the tracks are first-rate (especially "Velvet Goldmine," "Sweet Head," "The Supermen," "Holy Holy" and "John, I'm Only Dancing"), and rival much of the material on the Stardust album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Al, Bowie's singing is very herky-jerky and odd. But that's the way it's supposed to be. His vocal ability isn't anywhere near a Freddie Mercury but that's not his style, so it's OK. I'm not criticising his singing, because he has a unique sound and he uses it. There are plenty of singers who I'd say don't have much vocal ability but who I like a lot, like Bob Dylan and Ian Anderson.

NP: Frank Zappa, Return of the Son of Shut Up And Play Your Guitar, CD

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Bowie has been through a lot of stylistic changes, and unless you become very very keen on him, the chances are that you won't like all his stuff with the same intensity.

Critics generally reckon that The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Low, and [forgotten the name of it - the one with Let's Dance on it] are the ones everyone should have. Personally, I liked him up to Low, and then the later stuff just didn't cut the mustard for me (though I can respect the later work).

ace peterson

Second Unit
What would anyone recommend getting first? I generally like the songs that play on the radio by Bowie, but I don't own any discs. I want to hear more of his stuff. Which disc would you recommend me getting first?

MichaelAW

Second Unit
My first Bowie was ChangesBowie, the greatest hits album that came out simultaneously with the Sound and Vision box set. Since my favourites on that disc were "Heroes" and "Ashes to Ashes" (still my all-time favourite Bowie song), I started with Heroes and Scary Monsters. I have most of his albums, and find I like all of them (well, maybe not his 80s albums...).

Personal fave is Low, with Ziggy Stardust and Earthling also in the top five (with Heroes and Station to Station).

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
What would anyone recommend getting first? I generally like the songs that play on the radio by Bowie, but I don't own any discs. I want to hear more of his stuff. Which disc would you recommend me getting first?
I would recommend picking up The Singles Collection, which is 2 discs filled with all of Bowie's hits from 1969 to 1986. It was OOP, but has recently been reissued as an import...though it can be pricey, some b&m stores carry it relatively cheap, and additionally it will give you a fairly good overview of Bowie's styles on various albums.
As for individual records, I love his late 70's period (starting with Station to Station and ending with Lodger), where he created his some of his most infectious and interesting material. Heroes--also from this period--ranks as my all-time fav Bowie album. Fantastic stuff to be found on that record.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks