Getting iBook connected to wireless PC network. How?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Jan 23, 2002.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hey all,
    I'm going to be taking the plunge on an iBook in the very near future, but I have one concern.
    How do I get it connected to the already existing wireless network I have in my house? The network uses the Linksys Wireless/Wired Internet Router with 2 Desktops and 1 notebook already connected.
    I know that I can get an AirPort card with the iBook, but will this work for connecting to the Linksys wireless router?
    This will be my first time using a not obsolete Mac, so don't mind my ignorance about Mac's. [​IMG] Thanks.

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If the Linksys wireless router supports the IEEE 802.11b standard, and your network connections are always up (so the iBook doesn't need to do anything special to get the Linksys to dial a phone number), it should work. You'll need to tell the Mac your wireless network name and your encryption keys, but I'm sure you've already had to deal with this for your PCs.

Disclaimer: This is an educated guess. I have not used the particular products in question.

3. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andrew,

You should be able to get connected with your iBook using a wireless connection with the Airport card very easily. We have two of the older iBooks here that connect with my D-Link Wireless access point and it works better than the Windows laptop using a wireless card. By better I mean the reception is better. I think that is because Apple has a good built-in antenna for Airport as opposed to the Windows unit which has the antenna built into the card.

If you don't already have an Airport card I know of a source that had some for just under $50 a week or so ago. Let me know.

Glenn

>>I'm going to be taking the plunge on an iBook in the very near future, but I have one concern.

>>How do I get it connected to the already existing wireless network I have in my house? The network uses the Linksys Wireless/Wired Internet Router with 2 Desktops and 1 notebook already connected.

>>I know that I can get an AirPort card with the iBook, but will this work for connecting to the Linksys wireless router?

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

1)Install Airport Card
    2)Install Airport Drivers via CD, Software Update Control Panel, etc. and reboot.
    3)OS X directions:
    a)Select Network Preference Pane from the System Preferences.
    b)Choose "Airport" in Network Control Panel "Show" pull down menu and "Using DHCP" from the "Configure" pull down menu.
    c)Click apply now
    OS 9 directions:
    a)Open Appletalk control panel and choose "Airport" - close and save
    b)Open TCP/IP control panel and choose Connect via "Airport" and "Using DHCP" - close and save
    Edit: If you buy it with Airport Card pre-installed you likely don't have to do a thing as OS X should auto-sense between modem/ethernet/Airport on first boot for you as long as you choose "I already have an ISP and would like to set that up".

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Ok, thanks for the help guys.

I'm a little confused about Thomas' reply though.

When I have my iBook connected, it will allow me to browse the internet also right? I mean, that is the whole point of me wanting to get it connected with the Linksys router...so I can share my cable internet connection with the iBook along with the other PC's in my house.

What's the about the Linksys being able to dial a phone number?

Thanks again for the help.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Andy,

Since the linksys is connected to a cable modem, you'll be fine. Thomas was just trying to cover other scenarios, since you didn't say what you were using the Linksys with in your first post.

In the Airport software, just enter the network name, and password (if applicable). You should join the wireless network without any problems. I frequently use my Powerbook's airport system with Apple's Base Station (on my Cable modem at home), and Cisco and SMC base stations here at work. And I'll be helping my mother in law setup a linksys wireless router in the next few weeks.

7. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Don,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm glad to hear that I technically wont have any problems and that I wont need to buy any more equipment other than the AirPort card.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help.