Getting HDTV Locals w/ DirecTV

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by chris_steltz, Aug 14, 2005.

1. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

Just got upgraded to the HD-DVR Directv box. I dont get the HD locals yet but I see on the guide that there are all the locals East and West im guessing from NY and LA. Am I able to subscribe to these channels? When I click on the it says for ordering info call x721. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    What do you mean you "just got upgraded to the HD-DVR Directv box"? Do you mean you got the Tivo HR10-250? If that is the case, the only way to get HD locals via satellite is if you live in NY or LA markets, or can somehow get waivers (which I think is close to impossible at this point). Other markets are supposed to start becoming available before the end of the year. Until then, you have to get your locals via OTA antenna.

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Chris it all depends on where you live.

Currently the only locals that are available are in the New York and LA areas.

If you don't live in one of those two regions you can only get those signals if your local stations agree to a waiver.

Edit: the HR10-250 will never be able to get the new local HD channels that DTV is adding. When DTV offers local HD for the rest of the country it will be in MEG4 format which the HR10 can not process. Don't worry DTV has had a great policy of upgrading hardware for next to nothing so your HR10 will probably not become a door stop.

Do a search on the web for the Tivo community web page. They are a great resource for everything Tivo.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you live in an area that has stations that are owned and operated by the network, then you can get these stations (on a network by network basis). For example, I'm in the Memphis market and the local Fox station is Fox owned and operated. The national HD feed for Fox was turned on for me automatically. If your locals aren't network owned and operated, then you aren't eligible for them. You can thank your local broadcasters and their lobbyists who got congress to pass a law a few years ago to "protect" them from out of market signals.

You have a few options:
    1. Put up an antenna. You don't list your location so I can't be much help here. Start at AntennaWeb to find the size/type antenna that you will need. Avoid anything with the Terk name on it.
    2. Apply for waivers. 99% chance you will be denied but you can try.
    3. "Move". Eligibility is determined by service address and not billing address.
    4. Wait for LIL (local into local) HD. It's coming. The top 12 markets this year and others to follow. And you will have to have a new dish and a new receiver because everything that you have now is not compatible with the new MPEG4 format.

-Robert

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I don't think this is true anymore...I got a letter in the mail from Directv about a week ago saying that I would be losing my HD national feeds due to a law change (or something to that effect). I was getting the CBS NY HD feed in Baltimore.

6. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I get my locals from the satellite AND from the antenna. I can choose. However, you cannot get the signal from another region. For example, I get the west coast feed. I can see the east coast feed on the guide, but I cannot receive it.