1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting HD Box Tomorrow! HBO Sched?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JakeR, Jul 17, 2001.

1. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

I know posts like "I'm getting a backrub tomorrow, just wanted to let you all know!" are pretty inane, but...bear with me. [​IMG]
    I'm getting a HD box tomorrow! Time-Warner is delivering a Scientific Atlanta box that will provide HBO and Showtime in glorious High-Def. I've been on a waiting list for one for about six weeks now, otherwise occupying my time on my Toshiba 40H80 with tons of DVD. Despite living in an otherwise drab community, our Time-Warner affiliate seems to be fairly cutting edge. We've had cable modem access for years now. And according to titantv.com, my local CBS, NBC, and ABC affiliates will start broadcasting the good stuff in May of 2002.
    Can anyone direct me to an HD schedule for HBO? I noticed one for Showtime on an earlier thread. Also: I understand HBO will be rerunning the Sopranos sequentially, episode one through 39 beginning sometime in August. Will the run be in HD? Thanks.

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Jake,
    First the Schdule for the HD versions of HBO and Showtime are the exact same ones as for their Main non-HD Channels.
    As for telling what will be shown in TRUE HD if you look at the TV-guide and see a movie you will find that many movies on HBO are shown in a 16x9 format and a few in OAR but not all. You can pretty much count on all recent HBO movies being hi-def. Many older movies are appearing in HD as well.
    For Showtime you can count of recent movies to be HD especially if they are of the Blockbuster type. Showtime is not as good about showing older or less prominent titles in HD.
    As for Original programing.
    HBO Showed this season of the Sopranos in HD 16x9. Before the season started they showed many reruns of older shows and I found no pattern to what they did. Sometimes I saw them in 16x9 but upconverted and sometimes they were 4x3 and upconverted. The rest of their series stuff is upconverted 4x3. (Sex in the City, Six Feet Under Arlis...)
    Most of HBOs inhouse movies are now 16x9 True HD.
    Showtime
    Shows Stargate in 16x9 format upconverted. Their latest in House movie with Danny Glover as a Taxi Driver was shown as upconverted 4x3. [​IMG]
    I get the feeds off of a Big Dish which is the same feeds that cable co.s and Mini dish Systems use and these original feeds are quite often in DD 5.1 but I have heard that some companies have presented stuff that I have seen on HBO in dd 5.1 as Dolby Surround. So sometimes the 5.1 is being downmixed to 2.0. [​IMG]
    Hope this Helps.
    BTW Stargate every Fri at 10:00 looks great (considering it is upconverted) and is always dd 5.1
    Max
    Shows some o
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

You can go tohttp://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/
    or you can subcribe to HDTV magazine. $35.00 life time subcription and a schedule delivered to your email every morning...Also contains news pertaining to HD..well worth it...
    ------------------

4. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, guys.
    Is HBO's Oz upconverted or in true 1080i? That is, hands down, my favorite drama of all time, and I would flip if HBO can deliver it in a pristine format.

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

OZ is just a 4.3 upconvert..Not a real hd presentation at this time anyway....Who know what next season will bring though, since the Soprano's just Start with HD this past season...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on July 17, 2001 at 01:30 PM]