Getting first RPTV...advice?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan Belina, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Dan Belina

Dan Belina Agent

I'm moving up from a 36" Sony WEGA and looking to purchase a RPTV.

I've seen advertisements with "HDTV ready". Does this mean an additional piece of equipment needs to be purchased to actually view HDTV broadcasts?

Are there any brands to avoid? Any brands which consistently make good TV's?

Also...I'm going to check out the BB/Circuit City/Sears in the area, but thats all we have here as far as electronics stores go unless I drive down towards NYC. So if I can score a good deal from an online shop with a wider selection, I might do that....anyone have good/bad experiences with any online shops?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Stay away from RCA ... other than that ... any major Japanese / Korean Brand is fine.

HDTV ready means that there is no HD tuner in the TV. The tuner must be purchased or rented separately.

Regards

3. Dan Belina

Dan Belina Agent

Thanks guys.

Do Sony or Hitachi market any HD Ready sets in the 51-57" range?

Trying to keep it under $2000 tops, including tax and warranty if I decide to get it.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i would stay away from sony. we had two on display and they *both* konked out. also, i find their pic to be a little soft.

the two that i would look at are (in no particular order): hitachi, mitsubishi.

i personally own a mits, but i only bought it because of my discount. if push came to shove i may have gone with the hitachi instead.

pay attention to the "hd ready" vs "hd capable" or "hd monitor" option. at bb, hd ready means it *DOES HAVE* a built-in hd-tuner. hd monitor means it needs an external decoder. heck, just read the tags. [​IMG]