Getting feedback on how I'm doing...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CollinMorphew, Aug 27, 2002.

1. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

I got turned on to this site by and Ebay auction I was looking at. The guy said this was the place for me to look around and learn more than I already knew (which after being here I soon found out was not much). Was he ever right--I think I'm actually addicted to reading things that sometimes have no bearing on me or what I'm doing--they just sound interesting! Anyway--here is the breakdown and I'm looking for positive reinforcement (eliminate partial buyer remorse), thoughts and/or next steps--anything to feel like I'm doing things right and I have a good set up. Here is what I currently run:

TV Sony XBR Videoscope 53" (best TV I've seen that is not HDTV)
    Speakers Bose AM 10 (I can already feel the wrath--but see below)
    Bass Mod Bose
    Sub Sony XM40 (Even I could tell I needed something)
    DVD Sony SV-530 (I believe correct model-at work while posting)
    Receiver Sony STR-835 (I believe correct model-at work while posting)

Now--here's what I'm doing on upgrade:

TV No current plans
    Speakers JBL S-Center (Bose going into Bedroom)
    JBL S38 Right and Left
    JBL S36 Right/Left Back Right/Left Surround
    Sub JBL PB12 (Sony going into Bedroom)
    DVD Haven't decided yet--maybe Progessive Scan for future with Sony going into Bedroom. (Denon 1600 ??)
    Receiver Pioner VSX-811 (After spending time on here and other sites--couldn't find one reviewed stereo with better marks for the cost--some "higher" ends had less consistency and power for 2x the $$ and it supports the power across 7.1)

Anyway--that's my first post. Just wondering what else I should do (amp, DVD players, etc.) Praise me, shred me or somewhere in between--looking for anything. I'm thinking this is going to be a great set up for now and the future when I have more room. I'm in an apartment right now so I hope to be the even more ostracized neighbor in two weeks. Plus, the Bose setup (IMO) sounded great with the sub addition--in the Bedroom it's going to be even better--especially with how much I like the JBL's.

Anyway--no matter what--great site and people.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

For movies you will be extremely happy with the 811S. It is a great middle/low end feature based receiver. It's one downside is it lags behind a bit in musical reproduction. If this is a big factor in your receiver decision, you may want to look at dennon and marrantz. They are much more musical receivers. If you will mainly be using HT for DVD and TV w/ DPLII, i can't say enough good about the 811S.
    As for the speakers you've chose, i've always heard great things about the JBL studio and northridge series. For purchasing JBL stuff, you may want to look at www.harmanaudio.com. They are the official harmon kardon/jbl/infinity direct outlet. They have new and refurbished products. All products, including refurbished, carry the full original warranty. Refurbished items have a Z at the end of the model number.
    If you order from harmanaudio you can get the S310Zs for only $50 more than the S38s for mains, if you like floorstanding models.
    I currently use the 811S with the following sony speakers:
    SS-MB300H mains
    SS-C490 center
    SS-MB100H l/r surrounds and l/r back surrounds
    RCA 12" 200W sub (soon to be replaced w/ DIY sub)
    I really like my setup and am extremely happy with my 811S. Funny thing is, the next thing i'll probably upgrade, after building a new sub, is my receiver *L*. Even though i would probably notice more of an improvement by getting new speakers, i'm really blown away by the specs on the Pioneer Elite 43TX. Having full 7 channels of discrete amplification and thx post processing for closer to true 7.1 intrigues me. I'm also considering moving to amps and using the 811S as a pre/pro.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You might want to re-consider the JBL sub. This sub had some quality problems in the past. Of course the problems may have been fixed. You might check out some subwoofer threads in the “speaker” area. There is a lot of support in this forum (and others) for SVS, Hsu and Adire subwoofers. They are all online products, so it would take a bit of a leap of faith to order, but a good many have done so with considerable satisfaction.

Plenty of support for other subs that you can audition.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have JBL S-series matched with a PB12 and I'm very happy. Regarding the JBL sub issue: there was a problem with amps on the PSW series, but not on the PB series.
    Welcome to the forum!

5. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the input. I'm getting jazzed about getting the speakers--scheduled for delivery Thursday. Already hooked up the Pioneer to everything and it sounds better than it did in the store hooked to better speakers than the Bose--I hope this means it will sound great with the JBL's. Now I'm just wondering how I need to set everything up. As I said before, the TV is a 53"--what do y'all think is the proper distance between TV and couch? Also, where should I mount the surround L/R and surround back (height and distance from couch)? What about the front (space between each and distance from wall and sub)? I've seen some layouts on Dolby sites but looking for more input. I'm also wondering about other things now--of course. What about DVD audio--am I not getting what I should right now with my player and a fiber connection--should I look at a Sony with SACD since I won't get the benefit of Progessive Scan yet? Should I be thinking about an amp and how would that best work? And to think, all this started with 900 bucks in Best Buy gift certificates from work--that's why I had to make a decision on going speakers or electronics with the money out of my pocket. I spent my money on the speakers figuring the electronics will always be upgraded--this way I can do it with somoeone elses money! [​IMG]
    It's just funny because everyone loved my current setup--all this new stuff should really be fun--I just laugh about spending more money on something that I wasn't planning on upgrading right now--oh well, can't be responsible all the time right???[​IMG]

6. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

7. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Check out this site . It has a good explanation of screen size and seating distance.