Getting DTS from DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don.K, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Don.K

Don.K Auditioning

I'm using a Sony SDP9ES DD decoder as a digital preamp. Thinking of getting a DVD player with a built-in DTS decoder to obtain DTS. The Sony does not have a 5.1 digital input. It only has optical inputs. Can I use the dvd player to decode DTS and connect it using one of the optical inputs on my Sony? Will this work? Thanks.

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

The optical connections will only pass the undecoded DTS. Without a 5.1 input on your decoder, you're stuck with DD...

3. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi Don,

you may want to investigate this situation a little more.

when you say you do not have a 5.1 input because you only have optical inputs, what exactly do you mean?

my understanding is that when you want to pass or receive a digital signal (bitstream) for audio it can be done with with two types of connections, coaxial or optical. these two connetions do exactly the same thing they pass a digital signal dd5.1 or dts from one device to another.

the other part of this is the signal decoding. this can be done by either the dvd player itself if it has a decoder or by the av receiver.

a few years ago when dvd players first came out, most of them did dd5.1 decoding in the player itself but only allowed dts to be passed thru to the av receiver which handled the decoding there.

today many of the dvd players are decoding both formats in the player itself.

there is no doubt that one of the machines has to handle the dts decoding but if the receiver has optical in and can pass thru an already decoded dts stream, i can't understand why this wouldn't work, an i also would like some enlightened clarification.

peter m.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Don.K

Don.K Auditioning

Hi Peter,
    I do not have a 5.1 input as in 6 analog inputs on the Sony. Now if the dvdp's built-in decoder can decode DTS and send it thru the optical output to my Sony to distribute the 5.1 signals, I'm saved BUT if it happens like what Michael and Tim says, then it's a no go.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Don,

It cannot, you are stuck with DD until you upgrade that receiver. Sorry man...

7. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Don,
    You can use the EP9ES 5.1 bypass for this,
    Although you will need to find a dvd player that
    has analog outs and output level controls (Volume control)
    Bypass mode with the EP9ES you have no working volume control on the EP9ES.

8. Don.K

Don.K Auditioning

Finding a dvd player that has analog outs and output level controls has crossed my mind but think there's no bass management.
    Think I'll save the trouble and find a used DTS receiver to use as a preamp and upgrade to a proper preamp when funds allow. The only thing is how much of the sound quality will be scarificed, if any at all.