Getting DSS, what is the best receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff_john, Dec 18, 2001.

1. jeff_john

jeff_john Auditioning

Thanks in advance for the help. I am going to take the DSS plunge. I can't wait any longer for the cable co. to upgrade my lines. Quality is terrible! I have read a little about the sony 100. Runs around $900.00 It seems to have most of the bells and whistles as far as HDTV goes. I want the HD capabilities. I also would like to ditch cable completely but would need the DSS to go to 5 tv's. Any comments or ideas as to the best way to do this and which service you recommend? Thanks, Jeff

2. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

I think the Zenith is the newest DirecTV HD receiver and it has some advantages (and disadvantages).

The Panny, RCA, and Mitsu units are out there too.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

4. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I was using digital cable and it sucked goat nads. Yesterday I had the the Hughes E86 HDTV receiver and elliptical dish installed for 700.00. I am still in awe.....

5. Maurice Verploegen

Maurice Verploegen Stunt Coordinator

I am glad that I did a search first.

However, this thread is a few months old. I was wondering were all you people stand now with these receivers. I am in the market right now for a HD-DSS receiver as well. In my market there is no such thing as "off air" HD signals. So for now I would have to do with the HD-Net and HD-HBO. Are these 2 channels alone worth it? Can we see more HD programming from DSS pretty soon? I know that we might see a merger with Dish here pretty soon. What do you think? How is the Panny receiver. I see a lot of them out there.

Thanks for your feedback.

Maurice Verploegen

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

First, I love my Dish PVR 501. With 30 hours of hard-drive space it has put television in my control. Once you try it, you will never go back.
    (Of all my toys, this is the only one I have ever heard my wife praise/brag about [​IMG] )
    I think Direct has a similar unit called DirectTivo. Just make sure you get the recorder that stores/plays back the exact same bit-stream that arrives. The ordinary Tivo units do extra analog->digital conversion with visible results.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

8. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    DirecTiVo is great but, unfortunately, is not available in an HD-compatible receiver to my knowledge.

The best thing abou DirecTV, IMHO, is flipping off your local cable company for good.