Getting closer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Well I started my third sono a couple of days ago & so far I've made my legs, end plates for the top & bottom, & even though I know I don't really need it,I made a pretty slick brace that will also serve as the ports flair for the inside. This thing is gonna be a beast as it will stand 74" tall with both end caps in place. I cant wate to get it done & post some pictures,it will be quite a bit different from anything I have seen done here so far.
    The only thing I cant figure out so far is the finish. I was going to do gloss black ends,& laminate the tube in oak but I cannot find any laminate around in big enough sheets. So now I'm thinking about maybe doing the tube in a marble finish of some sort with a dark stain on the end caps,(which are Birch).
    One last thing, when all is said & done how can I post a couple of pictures here? I was going to make a web page but I don't wont to mess with all that. I would like to do it as simple as possible & just show off my work a little here.
    And I would just like to say thanks again to Dustin B. for your help, & every one else here at this awesome forum. Without All the help here I would have been lost:b [​IMG]

2. Joe Tilley

Well last night I got everything put together except for my top end cap which I will finish later today.
    I found a sono calculator & ended up going with 270 liters tuned to 17hz if I done everything right.
    Today I fired the beast up & couldn't stop grinning. This thing is a beast compared to my older 130 liter sono. The first thing I threw at it was The Haunting DTS, the part where Theo is being chased down the hall in chapter 17 than where the room comes alive in chapter 19, I couldn't believe what this thing was doing every door & window in my front room was going nuts. Than I went on to LOTR in the first ch where Sauron's ring hits the ground you just feel a big pulse hit you in the chest.
    I'm going to play around with some more of my favorite movies tonight & see what they sound like, but as It is right now I'm like a kid in a candy store.[​IMG]
    I will be posting some pictures as soon as I can get my friend over with his camera,hopefully in the next day or two.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Sounds like a big beast Joe. What sub and amp are you using?

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Joe if you want to email me the pics I can post them up for you. I'd love to see 'em.

5. Joe Tilley

Cam, I'm using a 15" Dayton DVC sub & PE 250 watt plate amp.

Dave, That would help out alot. Thank you for the offer as soon as I can get ahold of a camera I will send you an email. I'm going over to a friends tonight to see if he will come over & take a few picks for me, but if not I will have to wate a day or two to get ahold of my other buddy.

I cant wate to get them posted....

6. Joe Tilley

Dave, My wife is going to pick up a camera for me tonight so look for an email from me soon.

Thanks again...