What's new

Getting back into it.. Need Help - long (1 Viewer)

ozric_smith

Agent
After a few years away, I am getting back into the HT game. I have some old equipment from my last circa 1993 setup. My reciver is blown(Optimus PL), so I am getting a new Onkyo 595. My speakers were never very good. KLH 2 way F, Infinity video 1 C, and 2 Optimus B/SR. My old Samsung VCR died as well, so I pickup up a new Samsung for $69 buck at Bestbuy. I also just snached a Samsung DVD-N501 for $169(Steal-Bestbuy). So all I have now is my 36" Sharp TV, VCR(4head HiFi),DVD-n501 and some crappy speakers. I will get my 595 after Xmass, So what to about speakers? Can I get something that will work with the Infinity? Or should I ditch it as start anew? I have a wife and 2 kids now so money is tight. I might be able to spend 1K in about a 2 month time frame. Oh, I also Have a pair of Sony bookshelf ss-3333 from my wife, the drivers look ok rated a 33watts. So here I sit dreaming of HT and looking at the VLM on the n501. PSB,HTD,NTH HELP...... I need a plan, feedback please.

Richard

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Well, you need to identify (1) your budget amount for right now, and (2) what goals and features are most important for right now. By "goals" I mean boradcast TV with great sound, or great picture with OK sound, or what... because it sounds like in your situation you can't have it all.

Come back with these two things (budget and goals/features) and maybe we can indeed help!

Good luck!

ozric_smith

Agent
Goals: The best sounding system for DVD 5.1 and Music DVD/MP3

(mostly Sonic Jazz and Light Rock). I can afford.

I am really just looking for speakers I guess. I am ded set on the 595. So, it looks like it the JBL NSP1 for me. That is all I can afford right now. It might take me a few months to save up for a Sub, but at least I will have something nice to play with in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks