What's new

Getting audio into my receiver? (1 Viewer)

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Philips 42-inch LCD connected via HDMI to a Sony BLU RAY player and an Apple TV. I now want to connect a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver to both the Apple TV and Blu Ray player. I do not see HDMI audio outs on the BLU RAY player or Apple TV. How do I get the best audio possible out of these components and into my receiver? There is a HDMI port for TV on the receiver so I plugged an HDMI from the TV into the receiver though nothing is happening. I do not see any audio HDMI outs on the TV.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
HDMI carries both audio and video signals via 1 cable. Send both HDMI outputs from your components to the receiver, then send the 'monitor' HDMI out from the receiver to the TV.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Stan, try connecting your systems as follows:

Blu-Ray Player HDMI OUTPUT ====> Receiver HDMI INPUT
Apple TV HDMI OUTPUT ====> Receiver HDMI INPUT
Receiver HDMI OUTPUT ====> Television HDMI INPUT

Cheers,
Alon

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
1.) I noticed that when I had the AppleTV connected to the (HDP) HDMI input on the receiver, the receiver would switch modes on its own, make some clicking sounds, and then the on/standby starts flashing red and it stops displaying the AppleTV. Why did it do this? I changed the AppleTV to DVR and it seems ok now. What is HDP intended for?

2.) My powered sub does not seem to work. I have it plugged into the SW input on the receiver and I have a single Monster cable going from it to the sub and it is plugged into the top Low Level input on the sub, the L channel.

Thanks guys!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
2) Is your sub set to Auto? That way it will turn on when it senses a signal. What is your sub/LFE level set to on the receiver? Do you have the sub output turned on on the receiver? There's a lot of reasons why it won't turn on and you have to eliminate them 1 by 1.

-Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You don't connect the sub to the subwoofer input on the receiver. You connect it to the subwoofer output. Many receivers have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks