Getting around a hardware firewall

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_Lee, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Frank_Lee

Frank_Lee Agent

I have a cable modem connection and I'm sharing it with my roommate by going through an SMC Barricade router. The SMC has a built-in firewall which I think is causing some problems with accessing my computer remotely. I'd like to use services that require accessing my computer's ip like ftp or Windows XP's remote desktop connection. I was wondering if any of you knew of a way I could do that. Thanks.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Check your SMC router's documentation. You should be able to configure it to allow inbound connections. You'll have to open port 21 for ftp; I don't know what port XP uses for remote control though.

Be careful though, by doing this you're defeating part of the purpose of having a firewall, which is keeping hackers out. If you open ftp for example, then anyone on the internet can find your server and (attempt to) break in. You definitely want to make sure you disable anonymous ftp access and use good passwords.

KJP

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

It isn't really a true firewall, but uses NAT that kind of acts like a firewall. ou just have to find the port remote access uses (do a google search) and forward that port to the internal IP address that NAT assigned you thru the router. Also, make sure your XP firewall is either turned off or configured to let you forward that port on the machine itself if it already isnt capable ( I dont have XP and wont, so I am not too familiar with it)

4. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Terminal services (XP remote desktop, etc) uses port 3389.

Set up the SMC so that all incoming data on that port gets routed to the XP box you want to control's port 3389.

Note that you will only be able to remote control that one XP box on your home network from outside.