1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting an FM roof ANT ground

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I've read in these forums that not all grounds are created equal -- with a caveat about avoiding unequal potentials.

I attached a Fanfare FM whip to my roof eave; it comes w/RG59/U cable, and I put a "static discharge" unit in the run at the mount base. Fanfare says just run a grd wire to a ground stake but I'm not sure if this is sufficient. I don't trust my nearby coldwater hosebib for a ground because the house main service panel (on the far side of the house from this antenna) is grounded to the natural gas meter pipe!

At City Hall, a bldg inspector suggests running a 10AVG ground from the ANT block to the ground terminal at the rear of my AVR. I still have not run the ant wire into the house.

Do I have any real concerns about running afoul of "offset ground potentials"?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Do you mean he said to run the ground from your antenna to your receiver?? I sure wouldn’t do that. You need to run the ground to the place where the house electrical grounds. If you ground it somewhere else, you have a potential ground loop, which = hum.

Can you install the antenna in the attic? Then you wouldn’t have to worry about a ground.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

thanks, wayne, I hoped you'd check this one out.

Yes, I guess I'll relocate the antenna so I can run a ground down to the gas utility pipe.

I prefer the whip higher on the roof, outside, since I live in a valley.

4. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Bill -

If you are mounting an antenna on the roof, I would definitely not bring the ground wire inside the house. Run a large Ga. aluminum ground wire down the outside of your house to a good ground rod. Try to use a one-piece (unspliced) ground wire. This will help draw off any electrical potentials and if you do get a lightning strike, it will keep it outside the house.

Lightning can do some strange things. It once blew a hole in my roof and nailed a phone line that was strung through my attic. So, putting an antenna in an attic is no guarantee of it not getting hit by lightning.