What's new

getting an ED plasma... name me a dvd player (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'm about to order a Panasonic enhanced definition plasma screen. Both my dvds are non-progressive so I think I need to get a new player. Anyone recommend a good one? I need something that will upconvert the signal hopefully to 720dpi.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
yes it will, ED's display 480p which is the resolution of progressive scan dvd's. So basically, a progressive scan dvd will give you the best possible picture on your new tv!

(Just curious, why are you buying this technology vs. high def?)

Drew_W

Screenwriter

To watch DVDs. That's it. If you want HDTV, or upconverted DVD, you need an HDTV panel.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
okay, so, progressive scan dvd will look just as well on an edtv as it will on an hdtv?

(Just curious, why are you buying this technology vs. high def?)

exactly what i was wondering drew.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
That I can't answer...I suppose it depends on the panel. Simple comparisons can be done at your local Best Buy though.

However, with the amount of HDTV broadcasting available now, I don't know why someone would invest in an EDTV. Especially if you want the ability to do 720p/1080i, you should (and have to) look at HD panels.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The whole ED thing is an old story if you start to research plasmas.

1) ED plasma is at least $1000 less (down to $2300ish)
2) Panny ED has better contrast ratio (4000:1 vs 3000:1 on the HD models)
3) The ED units downscale HD a bit to their native resolution (basically 480p).
4) A vast majority of people can't tell the difference between downscaled HD and 'true' HD beyond 8-10 ft on a 42"

There's more to a display than resolution.

Just ask us 480p DLP projector folks :D

As far as a DVD player, the new Denon Faroudja models are coming out like next week. The DVD-1910...you can hear status, etc here :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=437950

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Dave you answered it exactly. The $2,500 is a much easier sell than the $4000 HD of the same size. At least it's an easier sell to my wife.

I don't watch much broadcast and LOTS of dvds. I want something that will make them look as good as possible. The HD is better than dvd we all know that. But the ED can handle an HD signal. In short, it fits my needs perfectly.

So any progressive scan is a good idea. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks