Getting a projector, need advice on building a screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelWW, Jan 17, 2003.

1. MichaelWW

MichaelWW Auditioning

I think I have decided to make the jump and get rear projector once I move into my new place. I am looking at an 'entry level' projector. I am about 99% sure that I will get the Sanyo PLV-Z1. I have done some research on building a screen. From what I have read I think I'll go with building a 1x4 wooden frame and using blackout cloth. I plan on painting the cloth by spraying it on instead of rolling it. My question is about the different colors people use. I see people using matte white, bright white, or gray. Does it depend on how bright you projector is?, the contrast ratio?, or both? What advantage does each color hold over the other. The Sanyo is rated at 700 lumens and I will be using it in a basement so I should be able to control the light very well. I cant afford a high dollar projector and I definintely want to get all I can out of what I can afford. I'm assume that a lot if it has to deal with personal perference. If any one can give me some advice on perhaps what to use, what has worked well for you, and what to avoid, I would really appreciate it.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I didn't know ppl painted the blackout line white as it comes in white already.

Most of the ones i've seen are roll down shades or stretched on a wood frame.

3. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Try Here
    this may be what you want
    GOO
    warrick

4. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I have a 45x80 blackout cloth painted medium gray for my Sharp M20X. You will want to choose your color of gray by both light output and contrast ratio, though light output is the more important. DEFINITELY paint your screen. IMO Home Depot custom mixes are perfectly fine. I had them mix up some white eggshell with lampblack pigment until it looked OK. Definitely spray, only thing I don't like about my screen is the roller marks. Also if weight isn't a problem, you could just have Home Depot cut a 4x8 sheet of MDF to whatever screen size you wanted, and then paint that (roller would be OK on that for sure). That would be cheaper and easier albeit a lot heaver than the blackout cloth screen.
    www.hayenga.com/mark/TheaterSystem/MVC-633S.JPG

5. Terrence Carter

Terrence Carter Auditioning

This is an interesting question, as I have been striving to do the same thing as of late.

I have an InFocus LP350 DLP that I had the good fortune of picking up for a song-n-dance. I read on the internet that one could build a screen out of a wooden frame and a high thread count sheet, then paint it.

Well, I am on my fourth color, and still have not gotten one that does not cause eye fatigue.

Initially I used silver (bad idea)
    Then switched to flat-white (still a bad idea)
    Read some more, tried dark grey primer (even still bad idea)
    Read some more, tried a lighter grey primer (a bit better)

I would appreciate any and all responses to this, especially with the Super Bowl coming here pretty soon!

T.C.

6. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I made a wood frame and used plain black-out fabric (white) without paint and the image is great coming off my Barco projector.

Craig

7. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

right now i am using a strecthed black-out screen with a low dollar projector(ae-100) and i think it's just fine , also i would just use this until after the "game"save the exp. until later and just enjoy the the "game".

8. greg jones

greg jones Stunt Coordinator

I've been following some interesting threads over at the AVS Forum about custom mixes of paint and a lot of people have had great results with the following "recipe":
    • Liquitex Professional Grade Acrylic Gesso (16oz)
    • Liquitex Iridescent Pearlescent White (2oz tube)
    • Liquitex Iridescent Bright Silver (2oz tube)
    • Liquitex Neutral Gray Value 5 (2oz tube, use 20cc)
    Mix all these together and roll on with a foam roller. As the post states, the iridescent paints contain titanium coated mica flakes that helps give the screen a more iridescent look. Most people recommended doubling the recipe so there is enough available paint to give the screen at least two coats. I plan on doing this sometime next week over my 80"x46" blackout screen.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

As soon as i settle on which PJ I'm going to use I will paint my blackout screen as well. For now though its just stock black out cloth and it works quite well for the LCD PJ's I borrow from work. The thing you notice most though is the lack of true black which the grey tinted paint will help.