Getting a passport: how long?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stryker, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

My wife and I have recently been asked to go with her boss to England on Feb 10th. Great, right? Not really.

Both of our passports are expired, and they were both done when we were under the age of 18. How long will it take to get them replaced/renewed? I need to know soon, since I will have to purchase the airline tickets.

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I would go down to my local Passport office (I use the one in DC when I'm there) and check what their lead times are for standard and rush. You will have to pay $$ for the rush service but it will get you your passports in just a few days.

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

You shouldn't have a problem so long as you ask (and pay) for it that quickly. I actually got my passport in a weel, under normal circumstances (that's pretty odd though, I think!)

Do go and take care of it right away though... better safe than sorry...

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I got mine same day in Philly. Of course, this was the at the Custom House right in the city, but I went in the morning with my paperwork and pictures in hand. They processed it and had it back to me in the early afternoon.

5. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I had to first get a copy of my birth certificate from the state, but once I had that it only took a little over two weeks to receive the passport.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Expedited" passports can be had in 10 days. It cost more however, standard passport applications take about a month if i remember correctly.

7. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I updated my passport last year. Without utilizing a rush service of any kind, I received mine in a little over two weeks.

8. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

I got mine same day. I believe it was $75 extra and I needed to show a travel itinerary that I was leaving within a couple of weeks. My company made me a fake itinerary and they picked up the cost of the passport. Biggest hassle was standing in line in the morning and then having to come back in the evening and do it all over again.

9. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

If you do not have ready access to a passport office, the U.S. Post Office can do it by mail with a 3 week turnaround. If you go to your Congressman, they can expedite it by overnight mail and get it in 3 days (one day up, one day to process, one day back). If you need it in one day, you have to drive to a Passport Office (closest to me is in D.C.). Normal fee is $45.00. Expedite fee is $35.00. Add in fedex charges for 3 day service. If you don't want to pay fedex, you can pay the $35.00 expedite fee and use regular mail and get it back in one week. I do these for a living.

10. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

You can also use one of the online passport services (I did a few years ago with good luck). Basically you fill out the online forms (US Govt forms), put that and various things of money (like so much in cash, a check for this to these people, another check for this to this person) into an envelope, Fed ex over to them and you get it 3 days from when you start (if you have a travel itinerary). There is a cost involved (actually kinda expensive), but it's very easy to do and very little time wasted.

As others have mentioned, if you have one of the regional passport offices around you can probably get it the same day (I did down in Miami morning appointment afternoon had my passport) or maybe next day. They promise at least 3 day service. But you do waste a day (and maybe more) while doing it.

Andrew