getting a new reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid K, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Okay Iam re doing my whole home theater setup, but have no idea what to look for in a good reciever. I figured I can spend around 800 canadian on one, and was wondering if you guys can help me in what i should look for in one etc. So far I know iam going to have tower front speakers, book shelf back speakers, and iam still not decided on a center channel, and sub, so any help would be great.

2. Have you decided on what towers you are going with? Are they 4 or 8 Ohm? Since you are going with towers I am assuming that you are more interested in music if so I would say the H/K are good. You should be able to get a AVR520 or AVR325 for this price and if you shop arround possibly the AVR525. Another few to check out would be Yamaha, Denon, and Sony's in this price range. Make sure you bring some of your favorite music and movies and try to listen to the receivers through the same speakers you plan on buying to see how they sound together (the Sony is fairly Neutral, the Yamaha is Bright, and the Denon and H/K are both warm although the H/K is more so)

3. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Actually it will be used for music, games, and DVD all round kind of thing

4. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

The Athena TECHNOLOGIES TM AUDITION Series AS-F1 are an elegant floor standing speaker designed for medium sized or larger rooms. The 8” (20cm) injection moulded woofer and Front Vented Bass Reflex enclosure will provide deep and articulate bass. In conjunction with the 1” (22mm) Teteron tweeter, the AS-F1 can easily handle up to 200 watts and its high efficiency design will ensure higher output than standard speaker designs. More Info

WebID: 10011757
    Mfr. Part Number: T5303 AS-F1-1
    # of Speakers Included Packed Singles
    Colour Black Ash
    Crossover Point 2.0 kHz
    Frequency Response 40 Hz - 20 kHz
    Included In Box Owners Manual
    Includes Wallmounts No
    Mid Range Speaker Size Not Applicable
    Power Capability 175 Watts/Channel
    Product Dimensions 24.1Cm x 90.5Cm x 29.8Cm
    Product Warranty 5 Years Parts & Labour
    Product Weight 18.5 kg
    Sensitivity 92 dB
    Tweeter Size 1"
    Woofer Size Not Available

More Information
    The AUDITION line is designed and engineered in Canada, by Athena TECHNOLOGIES TM, a trusted name in high quality, speaker systems for over 20 years.

Introducing the Athena TECHNOLOGIES TM AUDITION Series AS-F1. The AS-F1 is a floor standing speaker designed for medium sized or larger rooms that require a larger speaker. Bass extension, as well as overall output is increased when upgrading to this beautiful floor standing speaker. The 8” (20cm) injection moulded woofer in the AS-F1 in conjunction with the Front Vented Bass Reflex enclosure will provide full range sound with deep and articulate bass. Utilizing the proprietary 1” (22mm) Teteron tweeter, the AS-F1 can easily handle up to 200 watts and its high efficiency design will ensure higher output than standard speaker designs. The removable grille offers two different cosmetic identities, powerful and aggressive looking with the grille removed, or a more lifestyle attitude with the grilles on. Magnetically Shielded and easy to drive with its 8 ohm impedance, the AS-F1, like all AUDITION products are designed and engineered in Canada, by Athena TECHNOLOGIES TM, part of the Audio Products International Corp. group, a trusted name in high quality, high technology speaker systems for over 20 years.

those are the tower speakers iam thinking of getting BTW.

5. I have heard of these speakers but have not heard them in person. I would say in your price range check out the Denon 3802 or the 2803. The H/K AVR525, 520, 325 (in that order). And the Sony STR-DA4ES or the STR-DA2ES (the former if you can get a good enough price.) Any of these should sound awesome for you.

6. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Chris: Reid is speaking in Canadian Dollars (loonies) which unfortunately don't go too far. As an example, I think MSRP for the HK 525 up here is around $1800!

$800 I think will be enough for something like Marantz sr-4300, HK AVR 125, Denon 1603, plus a nice meal. Don't forget other brands like Yamaha, Pioneer etc (though I'm not as familiar with their stuff).

As for what to look for in a receiver -- that's a tough question, and really depends on what you want and what you 'need'. Prioritize what you want, like video switching, 6.1 vs 5.1, etc.

7. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

chris just wondering do the recievers you listed have DPL2? I really want it to have that for my gamecube

8. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

I know i want it to have DTS, and pro logic 2 is there anything else i should be looking for?

9. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

10. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Reid,

If you are looking at the Athena Speakers you are most likely shopping at Future Shop. So I would highly recommend looking at H/K's receivers the 125 or maybe the 225 you may do a good price if you do them all as a package. I agree with Jason saying take a look at the Denon, Yamaha and Marantz. These should be all round good receivers for Music and Home theater. If you are in Western Canada you can compare all three at A&B Sound they usually have rooms that are set up better than Future Shop. There is another dealer in Edmonton that sells H/K I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Take a look at the ones Jason gave you but I would suggest the Denon 1803 and the Marantz SR5300, could be had for your target price.

Don't rule out some of the local hi-fi shops in your area they can give you these same products for the same price. Also my experience is they can give you a little better customer service.

I have been happy with one in my area.:b

11. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

12. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Ian where would you happen to be in alberta? Iam in edmonton so heres hoping your store is there lol. Also what do you think of that kenwood reciever

13. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I would personally check into Energy's if you're looking at Athena's.

Athena, Energy, and Mirage are all owned by the same parent company, Athena being there entry level Energy there mid level and of course Mirage there high level.

I personally own Energys, I auditioned the Athenas and enjoyed there sound but for the few bucks more enjoyed Energy much better. Also like one person said you might want to check out Yamaha as well for recievers.

14. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Reid,

Yes I do live in Edmonton. I really can't comment on the Kenwood receiver's as when I bought my receiver last year I looked at the one's that I mentioned also the Onkyo. I ended up buying a Denon 1802 and am very happy with that receiver. [​IMG] The Marantz was my second choice, but that's just my opinion worth about 2 cents. I suggest take a look around see what's out there it's allot more fun shopping for home theater needs than going to the Mall yawn.

Jeremy was right check out the Mirage and Energy. Also some other speakers worth noting are Paradigm, Axiom and Dahlquist all available locally.

Ian

15. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

what stores would I find them? Any websites? Also any of you take a look at that kenwood reciever and tell me what you think?

16. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

17. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

It's tough to webshop for electronics in Canada (and with few exceptions it's not the best idea, either).

The best thing is to go and listen to 'em. As to where to find stuff: best place to start is often the manufacturer's website. You can often look up nearby authorized dealers. Paradigm, PSB and Energy all offer this on their respective sites.

In case you're looking for chains: A&Bs in Vancouver carry Energy; that may not be the case where you live. Sony Store carries PSB. Local Audio-Video Unlimiteds carry Paradigm here (but it's a tiny, highly regionalized chain). Don't feel bound to chains. Service is frequently better in smaller stores.