What's new

Getting a lot of digital artifacts and compression from DirecTV receiver. HELP! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I can't look at this problem anymore. I have DirecTV in my main living room and in my bedroom. In my living room where I have a 64 inch widescreen hdtv I do not have this problem. It is in my upstairs bedroom where I just upgraded everything that I am having the problem. I bought a 27 inch JVC I-Art tv, a Panasonic dvd recorder and had DirecTV put in my bedroom. I know it is not the tv because dvd's look okay. It is when I am watching satellite where I see all this compression and digital artifacts. The picture just looks terrible and unreal. Especially on dark or black scenes. Do you think it can be a problem with the receiver itself? The DirecTV receiver in my bedroom is a Hughes, the one in my living room is an RCA. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem? Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

try switching receiving.

If that doesnt help, turn down the contrast then reset the the black level. Then turn down the sharpness and ensure that SVM is off (if your set has this option).

Best wishes

Gregg Loewen
www.lionav.com

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
I think he is saying to take the receiver from your living room into the bedroom to see if that solves the problem. If it does, the problem is with the Hughes receiver. If it doesn't, proceed with the tv tweaks.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
First play around with your user settings and if that doesn't help try switching recievers...In my case my 8 year old Sony was better than my new hughes in showing less artifacts...also, some hughes boxes have user settings such as color,brightness etc...you might want to check that also.

On another note, Directv over the years has added to much compression to there signal and it's getting worse..When I first had them over 8 years ago it was AWESOME it was like watching a DVD on every channel...too bad things have changed..

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I would say swap the DirectTV receivers first.

I recently read another complaint about compression artifacts (I forget what forum) and they said they had a Hughes receiver.

It is entirely possible for the DirectTV receiver to be responsible for artifacts. The incoming video needs to be decompressed and, if the receiver's processor can't keep up with detailed scenes with large amounts of motion, you see artifacts.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks