Getting a little PO'D

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Sherman, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Little Bit of a rant.

Hello All,

I have this friend ( female ) who is getting married to one of my best friends next year. Well we have known each other now for about 3 years and in that time we have grown very close. But in the last few months she is starting to really piss me off.

Now Let me give you a little backround on my self. I have been selling installing Hi end Home theaters Now for over ten Years and make a DAMN GOOD LIVING doing so. It has afforded me a new house all fun toys and in recent months a BMW ( which she calls an over priced VW ) My other job as a stand up paid comedian and DJ'ing/pays for my furniture and all the other stuff.

Now on to her. She is 26 Lives at home Drives a 1996 Berretta with 128K on it, works for the school department teaching non verbal special needs kids, ( which I think is great ) and makes shit for money

OK here is where i get pissed. Since I have moved into my new house and got my Bimmer she makes an effort To make me look like an ass.

Examples

#1 ( friend of ours ) Hey Sherm, heard you got a new toy?......A new 3 series!......Sweet.........(.Her) Scoff "yah and he cant even afford it". WTF!!!!!!!

#2 Hey Sherm Nice place, where did you get the living room set. ( her ) "Well I helped him pick out everything you see here including the dining room set".
    UM no. she just happen to be with me when I picked it out and i asked her what she thought.and she helped me put someof my stuff together

#3 ( I hate the heat and love the cold I keep my temp at 62-64) In front of all of her friends) "hey sherm why dont you turn up the heat you cheap skate" then the other day she was wondering if im going to turn my central AC on or if im goingto cheap out on that.

I hate AC I cant sleep in it.I like a fan and the windows open

#4 We are all out a club 2 weeks ago.Im at the head of the line and the Guy asks HOW MANY?I say one. Her.........Hey sherm to Cheap to pay for anyone else HUH? Mind you I had them all over my house ( 10 people ) before and after the show where I PROVIDED THE 2 CASES OF BEER, THE TEQUILA FOR MARGARITAS AND ALL THE FOOD. But yet IM CHEAP.

why the hell do you think she is acting like this?

2. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Oh, God. I can't stand people like these. The old sour grapes/sweet lemons syndrome. It's really a case of envy as to why she behaves that way - plus she is an "manipulative attention whore", "drama queen" and "control freak". I would imagine it comes from her mother. Is she also pessimistic and overly negative about everything?

- Colton

3. Mark Sherman

She
    the mother was over my house one night for an impromtu BBQ. I grilled up some steaks for me her brother and her mom ( OBTW I PAID FOR ) My friend had to have chicken cause she doesnt like steak. Her Mom said she like well done, Talk about Killing the steak. Well I cooked it Just about perfect with Just a LITTLE red in the middle. She did everything to make it look like she was enjoying it ( she didnt cause " it had RED in the middle )

Then we are watching the SOX game. I have a 47" mits running HI DEF she said EHH I can't see a diif. I dont think it looks any better then the picture i get. BTW its a 10 year old sharp that has a pink Hue to it but my set doesnt look any better.

4. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Well, there's the source of the problem. It's just something you have to tolerate because she doesn't see any problem with her behavior. She probably considers her attitude as "being honest", but to you and others it makes her look like a unsatisfied nagging witch. She shouldn't belittle you in front of your family and friends. She shouldn't criticize your tastes. She offers no support or compliment to your achievements. Does she act haughty? You said she has a very modest lifestyle, so I wouldn't suspect that she is snobbish or stuck-up.

Just be glad you aren't the one who is marrying her. She sounds like a handful and my sincere sympathies to the husband-to-be.

- Colton

P.S. I just read your rant again and it strikes me that she is a underachiever. She doesn't seem to want to better herself. She works at a job that doesn't pay well? Does she think she isn't worth more? Has she tried finding a better paying job which allows her to work with kids with special needs? She's 26 and living at home? Probably because she can't afford a place of her own - plus that her mother probably gave her constant guilt-trips when she was growing up.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Envy. Be happy knowing that they will be miserable obsessing over their and your preceived wealth differences. Kinda like the guy who talks trash about Honda not making a "real motorcycle", but can't afford a Harley-Davidson himself so he's never even ridden on a bike before.

Now since the problem is clearly her and not you, try not to loose any sleep over it, she has a bug up her ass and nothing you do will ever fix it.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Just thought it was weird that Mark's post count was on 666 for this thread. [​IMG] (But that will change on his next followup).

Oh, yeah, be very very grateful that you aren't marrying her, but too bad it's one of your best friends who is marrying her.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    What I find interesting is you've known her for three years and consider yourselves very close, but this is the first time she's displayed this behavior. Could be the stress of the impending nuptials...what else has changed other than your acquiring some material possessions? It may be worth it to talk with her about it - or first corroborate with her fiance to see if she's been acting this way with others. If you know her to behave differently, maybe mentioning she doesn't seem to be herself lately and that you're concerned would be a worthwhile.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    She's secretly in love with you, and now that she's marrying the "wrong" man, she's venting her emotions of unrequited love as animosity towards you.

I've seen this movie before: it involves Jeremy Piven in a goofy, best-friend role, and you end up happily married to her, and we don't care about the devastated former-fiance. [​IMG]

9. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Yeah, ask her if she is secretly in love with you. What's the worst that can happen?

- Colton

10. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

"I've seen this movie before: it involves Jeremy Piven in a goofy, best-friend role, and you end up happily married to her, and we don't care about the devastated former-fiance. "

That made my day.

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    You should come up with a comedy routine about her behavior and invite her to the show... [​IMG]

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    "That made my day." Glad I could amuse [​IMG]

Greg's got it right! Isn't this prime material for a stand-up? You should thank her for giving you interesting new routines.

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Mark, I can TOTALLY sympathize with you. The same thing with me...I have a great job and make a good living, which allows me to 'spoil' myself.

My brother is CONSTANTLY making nasty remarks to me. When I bought my 55" LCD SONY WEGA, he was like (Snottily) "Must be nice!" [​IMG]

But what I've learned is, (as was mentioned) it's a common reflex to those with envy. Usually when someone (especially someone close) is mean to you, it's usually because they're upset with themselves.

You just have to learn to deal with it. My brothers comments used to piss me off all the time, but now, I feel more sorry for him than anything and shrug it off like it's no big deal.The one thing you have to be REALLY consious about is, do you do anything to make this person envy you?

Example, if you do something nice (like buy steaks) - don't act like they owe you anything because your attitude may be generating this animosity that she has against you.

You may not even realize you're doing it. People get jealous (all the time) when I make things look real easy. They assume that I don't deserve it for some reason.

Just food for thought [​IMG]

14. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Yeah, the girl sounds like a real burnout. Through all of this though I only wonder one thing; how the hell do you know that her Beretta has 128k on it?

15. Mark Sherman

I have been in the damn thing. we are friends

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Why?

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

[​IMG]

I have an old friend from another state who apparently feels a constant need to put me down. No idea why. Example: Sometime in the fall of 2004, after a 5 year hiatus from video games from my college years, I bought an XBOX with the credit from that Blockbuster movie buy-back program ($8 a title, unloaded about 1/5th of my collection). I was all excited and shared my enthusiasm with just about everyone I knew. I played for all of three months before losing interest again and shelving the thing (sold it last year). Yet, for a long time (and to some extent to this day), it was near impossible to talk to this dude without him mentioning the XBOX. As in "I've not been out clubbing in weeks -- You need to get leave the XBOX alone and get out there man", or we're out and someone asks "do you play football?" -- he would interject "Nah... he is a videogame kinda guy". Stuff like that. It extends to other areas. Out with a group of friends looking for the next stop, I mentioned a Jazz Club: A derisive "since when do you like Jazz" was his reply. There are many other such incidents about things like my ride, my apartment etc...

No idea why he feels this constant need to pigeonhole me as some of holed up nerdy loser. I know I often come off as arrogant which irritates some, but I am equally self deprecating I think, and he should know better. Mostly, he didn't use to be like that. Pretty weird.

These things ultimately sound petty, but it's not always easy to see them as such when they come from a closer friend.

--
    H

18. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

You're a stand up comedian, haven't you handled hecklers before?

Just treat her like a heckler and put her in her place. It's amazing how much nicer some people get if you verbally whip their ass a few times, they usually don't even resent it. It just sets certain "boundaries", kind of like the saying good fences make good neighbors. If she is ready to dish it out, she better be ready to take a little heat in return.

Never apologize for being who you are, especially not to someone that just wants to always drag you down.

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

While I have no idea what is going on between you and your friend, you were a bit guilty of poking her mom in the eye when you substituted how you thought a steak should be cooked instead of how it was requested. ‘Well done’ means no pink in the middle.

For me, anything over medium-rare is over cooked and I consider ‘well done’ the equivalent of putting ketchup on steak, so I feel your pain. Still if that is what is requested, you should have just smiled graciously and cooked that puppy like the sole of a shoe.

Then that she made comments on your display, something that I’m sure she was well aware was a source of pride to you is also very interesting.

Clearly even in a friendly get together there is a lot of tension. I don’t have any idea of the real issue, but if you want to keep this friendship, you need to sort it out with your friend.

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

EXACTLY! Don't let these people drag you down. It's helpful for you (as well as the other person) if you bring them UP to your high.