Getting a laptop - Dell or Compaq?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chet_F, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Office Depot, Circuit City & Staples are all selling a Compaq Laptop with the following specs:
    AMD Sempron 2800+, 15" TFT display, 256MB Ram, 40GB HD, DVD/CDRW Combo drive, with XP Home Edition(the only thing that I don't like, would like pro instead) price 549.00 after rebate.

I've seen some deals on Dell Latitude Refurbs on ebay for around the same price $550.00 with about the same specs but I can get XP Pro instead.

Just looking for some opinions on these or other laptops. I NEED to stay around $500.00

Thanks - Chet

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Best bet is to keep your eye on rebate sites like fatwallet and wait for a good deal on the dell laptops. Occasionally some realy good ones come up that cut the price of a high end laptop in half.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i know you can't go this high, but right now, dell is offering a $750 coupon off select laptops $1499 and up. that may be above your budget, but it might be worth finding a coupon to get a few bucks off yours.

CJ

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

huh, yeah something like that [​IMG]

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Dell over Compaq any day of the week.

I also highly recommend Sony Vaio and Toshiba.

6. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Well....thanks for all of the replies. [​IMG] I decided to go with the Compaq - mostly due to the price.

It's a pretty sweet laptop though. It has a built-in Wireless network adapter that runs on b or g so it was pretty easy to get hooked up to the net on my wireless network. Only problem was that it would not accept the WEP 128 bit key for network encryption. Just had to set it up on 64 bit.

Of course I've already trashed the O/S with all of my tweaking, adding, deleting, etc, etc. Just popped in the restore CD and off I go to a fresh start. [​IMG]

Now, can anyone recommend a good free personal firewall? I know, I'm cheap. I see Sygate offers one that is free.

7. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

yeah, kerio makes a great free personal firewall, a particular feature that I like is that it will prevent one program from running another (which zone alarm does not).

For anti-virus go with AVG, even though you didn't mention that it's a much better solution than norton or mcafee since it won't take over your computer.

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Yea, I loaded Kerio. Nice program!

I was already familiar with AVG as I use it on my desktop. Thanks for the recommedations though. [​IMG]

Tried DOOM 3 out but the video was too choppy. I'm trying a few tweaks but the card is only a Radeon Xpress 200M. 350 MHZ core, 128 bit memory. I increased the shared video memory to 64 MB from 32 MB to see if that will help.

Any other first person games out there that are not so taxing?

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    none of which make their own laptops.

it doesnt really matter that much WHO makes your laptop. the companies that supply dell and compaq/hp all have pretty good reliability, even though you have probably heard of none of them. many of these machines are similar throughout different company models. for example, the alienware area 51-m 7700, hypersonic aviator ex7, falcon northwest fragbook dr 6800, voodoo envy u703, and sager np9880, are all clones of the clevo d700. funny how you spend up to $1000 more at places like voodoopc and alienware for the same machine.

i'd only buy a laptop based on the level of service/warranty a company will provide. especially if they are just buying them from an "unknown" company and slapping their name on it, which is, with the exception of apple, what all of the well known companies do.

CJ

10. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I had a compaq that lasted 5 years. We have had a nightmare with our 15 month old Dell laptop. Dell sucks.
    http://www.officinado.com/new-review...iron-1150.html
    Check this out. Within 6 months the computer started having MAJOR problems.
    Flawed design. Everyone pretty much had the same problem. Dell won't admit it, their customer service is atrocious.
    They used to be great but now.....

Glad U went with a compaq. We're trying to sell our Dell Piece of crap and go with a toshiba.

12. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

I go brand new over refurbished first, then Dell over Compaq.

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Check my thread on this...
    my dell saga
    Do not, repeat NOT buy a Dell laptop. You will only have headaches. My Compaq was a tank that ran great for 5 years. My girlfriend's Dell had major problems within one and their customer service is a joke.

Just my 2 cents.