What's new

Getting a DVD player, should I sell my CD player? (1 Viewer)

Eric Massey

Agent
Hello! My birthday is coming up and my girlfriend told me she's going to buy me a DVD player.....I don't want to be an @sshole and tell her which model ($$$) to get so I guess I'm just going to take my chances there (trying to guide her ever so subtly to the panasonic rp62 or 82). She has to buy it at Circuit city, and I think she's leaning toward the "Apex" models. Anyone have advice for me in this situation?

In any event, I've been using a Denon DCM-270 5 disc CD changer in my room's audio-only system. My main question is: Do I have anything to lose (with regard to sound quality) by using a 1 disc DVD player for music CD's rather than this Denon 5 disc changer? If not, I will probably try and sell the denon if I can get over 75 bucks for it. If so, I'll hang on to the denon and use it for music since I probably couldn't get very much for it anyway. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Keep the Denon. The convenience of the changer is reason enough IMO. From an audio standpoint, if you had them both hooked up digitally, the quality would be almost identical if not identical. I say almost because some people argue that the quality of the transport will make a difference. I think that is possible, but whether or not you could hear it between a

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would keep the 5 disc changer, too. I've had DVD players in my home theater for over 4 years, and I still keep a 5 disc CD changer in the system. It always is loaded with CDs and ready for action. In fact, I just upgraded from an 8+ year old entry level Sony to a new Sony 555ES CD/SACD 5-disc changer. The older Sony carousel player has been demoted to the audio-only system in our basement recreation room.

Sathyan

Second Unit
Keep the Denon. Certainly compared to Apex it will have a better DAC and higher build quality. To the general question of CD vs DVD for CD. CD player controls are designed solely for music playback; DVD players have movie playback as their goal. You may have to go thru menus (using OSD rather than front-panel LCD) for such things as programming track order, repeat play, and toggling the time display. These are one button operations on my CD changer (which is also low-end) and it does it faster. If I had that Denon I could only replace at the $400 plus level for a combo player (Something with the same quality DAC, build quality, and disabling of video circuitry).

Consider the Apex a consumable good

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You will lose your 5 disc changer for one.
Two, DVD player's inherently introduce jitter to CD playback [this situation is getting better by the day]. And three, the DAC's don't match. Even some highend DVD's [using the top of the line 24/96 or higher DAC's] are hearing a benefit from using 16,20,24/44.1 DAC's for CD playback.
So, if you got 'room', keep your CD changer.
Happy B-Day!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Eric, I'll add to everyone else's reasons (which I agree with) with the following.

If you use your dvd player for cd playback and it breaks, you lose both movie watching and music listening until you either replace it or get it fixed. If you already own the Denon CD changer, I'd keep it.

cheers,

--tom

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yet, she does value the relationship, correct? :)
Buddy, try to stear her in the direction of the Big P. Seriously.
Also, I prefer to use a dedicated CD player because, if anything, I wouldn't want to overwork a DVD player by throwing CD duty at it. DVD players have longevity problems enough. Playing back garden-variety CDs is not worth their valuable time in the here and now.
So there!
Tell your GF that much is at stake here.

Eric Massey

Agent
Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to keep my Denon changer even after I get the DVD player. Like I said, I probably couldn't get very much money for it anyway, and it's nice to have changer capability. Plus ya'll bring up good points in saying that the DVD player might have an awkward interface for playing music and also that it's good to reduce workload on the DVD player.

I asked my girlfriend about the panasonics and she told me that the CC she's dealing with didn't carry Panny DVD players.....grrrrrrr, sounds like BS to me.

If she gets the APEX, I might just try to return it to another Circuit City for credit toward a panny.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
The relationship may last if she gets the warranty, then you can trade her in for another...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Definitely keep the Denon changer, especially if you get the APEX DVD player. Hopefully your girlfriend will get you a Panasonic DVD player. Steer her to the 'RP82 if you can. Regardless of which DVD player you get, keep the Denon changer. It's a very solid CD player for the money, and the DVD players will most likely not be as good. I have the Denon '370, and it is a very good CD player at its price point. It beats budget DVD players I've used.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
One of our female members is one of the most tech-intensive gear junkies I've ever met. Like the majority of HTF members, our female members are of higher-than-average intelligence, and they post here because they love home theater and the associated equipment.

One of them, the one I'm alluding to above, almost quit HTF because of the sexist comments she has had to endure here. I don't blame her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks