Getting a DOLBY only receiver to play DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    My friend has a Harman Kardon AVR35 Receiver that he got when DVD's were still fairly new and it only does Dolby Digital. He wants DTS, but really doesn't want to get a new receiver. Is there any way to get this unit to play DTS?
    I was thinking of a DVD player that does DTS encoding on board and connects directly to a 5.1 input, but his receiver doesn't have pre-amp inputs. He said the receiver can decode Dolby or PCM through the digital jacks... Are there any DVD players that can decode DTS into PCM before it sends it out the digital jack? And if so, can it be had for less the cost of a comparable new receiver?
    I keep telling him he should just get a new receiver since you can get a fairly nice one for pretty cheap now a days... but it's like he has an emotional attachment to his old HK. Maybe he just finally configred the remote the way he likes it, heh [​IMG]

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

no

3. Chris Brown

-
    Can you elaborate?

I can understand that after just reading my topic, the easy answer would be "No"... however such a simplistic answer makes me believe that you didn't even read my post.

I'm not trying to make the unit itself play DTS, simply be able to play a DTS disc and make the sound come out the speakers by any means necessary. If that means doing the decoding on the DVD player instead of the receiver, then so be it. I just want to know if it's possible.

4. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It is not possible to get DTS sound out of an Harman Kardon AVR35. My first Dolby Digital receiver was an avr 75 and I spent $299 upgrading to an Onkyo DTS/Dolby Digital unit a couple of months ago and it sounds great. My H/K is still in use but it's just connected to the CD player for two channel music. That way I can play video games in 5.1 with music in the background, I'm partial to the Village People[​IMG]

6. Chris Brown

-
    So to answer the second part of my question, they don't make DVD players that decode DTS into something more take, like say PCM before it outputs it to the receiver?

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    If I am not mistaken the Millennium 2.4.6 DTS Surround Sound Processor can be used to decode DTS to your 5.1 receiver. As long as you have a 5 channel input. And millennium is having a blowout on them for $200 right now. I am not sure how good they are so I can not say for certain if it is a wise investment or not. You may want to bite the bullet and upgrade to a DD/DTS 6.1 reveiver.
    Here is the link if you would like to research the dts decoder. http://www.5point1.com/home.html

8. Chris Brown

-
    Yeah i'll bug him again and maybe he'll let go. I'm bringing him over to show him my new Pioneer 811 maybe that will convince him.

Doesn't look like dolby will be dead any time soon and it is still part of the DVD spec, so maybe he has a point.

9. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I had the same old problem. Except my old DVD player wouldn't even play DTS material. Although I had other more important reasons to upgrade not having DTS was one of them. All the reviews of discs that has both AC3 and DTS says DTS is slightly better. And I believe they're right. The problem is that there are a lot more DVD that only does AC3 and not DTS.

Anyhow I upgraded to a 49tx and couldn't be happier. It totally changed the way I think of DVDs and although I have upgrade bugs it's only cause the 49tx made me crave more. Not exactly wanting more from the 49tx but craving more. You can never have enough.

10. AaronWT

AaronWT Agent

Just spend a few bucks and get a new receiver. You can get a cheap one that handles DD, PL2, and DTS for under $150.

11. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Unfortunately your going to have to break the news to him that there is no way that he can get DTS. It's ashame that he doesn't have any ext inputs, because then he could get easily get the Millennium 2.4.6 DTS Processor and keep his receiver.

So he must buy a new receiver if wants DTS.

12. Craig_Kg

Yes, the lack of 5.1 inputs was the reason for my short answer. I did read it and there are no dts->DD5.1 converters I have ever heard of (which is what you would need but then what would be the point).

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

14. Craig_Kg

Read the posts properly - no 5.1 inputs...

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, I KNOW. IF it had multichannel inputs, only a decoder would be needed, but as I said in basically any case, it would be better to just get a new receiver altogether.