What's new

getting a dog....any breed recomendations??? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
My family has had black labs for about 14 years now. I don't think I will ever own another dog that is not a lab. They are great companions, love to swim and run, and are good guard dogs. The problem with labs is getting through the first couple of years. They chew on everything and are very destructive. However, this can be curved with some training on a daily basis. Labs do like a lot of attention and are very active dogs, so a couple of walks a day are a good idea if you have a lab. Feel free to check out my web page if you are interested in seeing my newest lab Blake. He will be one in April. Hopefully I will have some new pics of him up soon. If you have the time and the patience to get through the first year or two, a lab will be a great companion for many, many years to come. Good luck in your search.

Brandon Smith

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
From a veterinarian who treats dogs every day:

Visit your local animal shelter and adopt a pet who likes you. Personality is the most important aspect, and a young adult dog or a 12-20 week old puppy will exhibit most behaviors during a visit. Do not get a dog that seems afraid of you.

I used to raise Siberian Huskies and Shelties. I love'em, but they can be high maintenance. I have 4 dogs now, all adopted from local Humane Society, 3 of them mixed-breed, and they all get along great. The 4th is a rather neurotic Sheltie, but hey, she needed a home, too.

StephenA

Screenwriter
There's 2 pugs, 2 boxers, and a bassett hound in my household. Outta them, I'd reccomend the boxer. They are great watchdogs, very lovable, don't get huge, and don't need a big yard. They also love car rides and to go on walks. I've had pugs most of my life, they are great lap dogs, but are yippy and bark at most everything. They tend to chase my 3 cats too. They also tend to have breathing problems too. They can also have eye problems and fold problems too, due to the waytheir face is formed. I wouldn't particularly reccomend bassett hounds either. They are very noisy, and have a huge hunting instict. My bassett hound has killed birds, squirrels, snakes, turtles, frogs, and other assorted wild animals who happened to get through the fence. I don't know how she pulled off getting some of these animals, due to her oddly shaped body. She also barks like mad when running. It gets annoying. So all in all, I suggest the boxer.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Buy yourself an English Bulldog!
There is no better dog!
maxgoingout.jpg

A link to my dogs web site:
http://cine-max.tripod.com/max/
Bulldog, a dog with attitude!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Go with a mutt. Purebred dogs tend to have a variety of mental and physical ailments of one kind or another. Save one from the humane society.
If allergies are an issue, stay away from German shepherds; according to my allergist they are THE worst. A close second is labs/goldens. I found this out AFTER getting a golden/lab mix and finding out I have allergies, so I'm all hopped up on antihistamines now, because I ain't giving up my dog. :)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
No one has mentioned the Miniature Schnauzer.... very smart breed and they have NO NATURAL body odor. They were developed in Europe during the rat infestations. Came from the rat terriers (for their quickness) and poodles (for their heavy fur coats to withstand the european climates).

Anyway, very active and VERY much a one man breed. Loving and bunches of fun since they are so smart.....

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
We have 2 Scotties

They are a bit different than most other breeds. They are independant and tend to ignore most people. Unlike most dogs who are happy to see just about anyone, they are happy to see a few select people.

Asta (who is sitting next to me now) likes to watch movies and even cartoons.I always wondered if he was actually watching or just staring in that direction. My question was answered when we were watching Lady and the tramp together.

On the scene were the rat comes in the baby's room, his ears went up and started growling the moment the rat came on the screen! He also gets excited over Tom & Jerry cartoons.

It takes a pretty good leap in logic to connect a cartoon cat with a real cat, but somehow he has made that connection.

Scotties are fairly rare these days but you will never find a more loyal friend

Grant

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I can recommend a miniture-Dauchsund in a heart beat. They are wonderful dogs. Their only problem? The like to bark and lick. I have had 6 of them and they are all the same way. So if you don't mind a dog that barks a lot or loves to lick your face all the time then get one of these great dogs. Go with a short haired miniture female. You will love her from the minute you take her home and your girlfriend is going to say "I am so glad you bought this dog for ME" (even though you really bought it for yourself).

Whatever type you get enjoy yourselfs with the dog. For us dog lovers out there they are are like one of our children.

Parker

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Adopt from your local humane or breed resuce society, please save a unwanted pet. There are so many out there that are given up because people have no idea about the responsibility and time involved in pet ownership. A dog is more than a big/little furry thing that you play with now and then, they are a family member.

We originally considered an Aussie but my wife was intimidated by their energy level. We ended up adopting a mutt and Chloe couldn't be a more wonderful dog. She's a Golden/Samoyed/Chow mix, very intelligent, active (but not like an Aussie or Border Collie), friendly, and gorgeous. I wish there were a breed like her.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I had something to add that I thought was appropriate here. This thread, after all, inspired me.

My family has wanted a dog for a very long time, but we just weren’t in a position to be good dog owners. Well, since the appearance of this thread, I’ve committed myself to getting a dog. I’ve repaired my fence, fixed up the dog house (sort of), cleaned (dog-proofed) our house, and I set in search for the perfect dog at the local animal shelters.

Yesterday, we found her: A beautiful golden retriever found languishing in a local shelter. I’ve never known a dog with such a sweet, biddable nature. I don’t think anyone could ask for a better family companion.

She’s still a little apprehensive in her new home, but I couldn’t be more thrilled with our new family member. She returns our love with a deep, abiding affection and seems grateful for her rescue.

If there’s a breed you prefer, then check your local shelters frequently. It could take some time, but your patience will be rewarded: Every kind of dog imaginable passes through these shelters eventually, and there’s no better way to acquire a canine family member than as a rescuer. It breaks my heart to think what might have become of this wonderful animal had I not intervened in her life.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Congratulations Brian! I'm glad to hear that you saved a dogs life. I think adopting from animal control is a wonderful thing for a person to do. I hope your new dog brings you many years of joy.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks