What's new

getting a dog....any breed recomendations??? (1 Viewer)

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
For temperament I don't think you can beat a Newfoundland. I have two Newfs, and they are just incredibly gentle, sweet dogs. Of course, they are large breed dogs, probably too large for your space, and they do have hair -- lots of hair. Here's a link with some good info: http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/newfies.html
Here's a link that should tell you all you need to know about whether or not a Newf is right for you:
http://www.kaylar.com/newfinformation.html
I'm also mighty partial to Great Pyrs. I had one for a short time, and she was the best dog I've ever known. Like Newfs, they are big and hairy, and where a Newf might be able to live in a small area, a Pyr would definitely be unhappy. Check this link. Be sure to scroll down and read the link about Pyrs v. Bears.
As for general dog and puppy info, I recommend going to Amazon and looking for the books by the Monks of New Skete.
Good luck with your search.

R

RossTerry

i dont think i saw any votes for Boston Terriers. something different from labs etc

smallish bulldog, good with kids, affectionate, short hair, incredibly smart, love to play and are very active, but also can be calm as a lap dog.

mainly an inside dog

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Things to think about:
-Big dogs makes big poops that you will be cleaning up!
-Yappers, I hate um!
-Stinky inside dogs which includes most, hate them also!
-Pure breeds tend to have more medical problems.
My advise is buy a small mutt from the pound, and save a life!
Wes

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I tend to like the sporting breeds, shorter hair, females have been more laid back for me.. We've had a couple (three) female springer spaniels and they've been awesome, super cool and laid back, happy to just chill out and take a nap with you.

Scott W.

Second Unit
Golden Retreiver. They're smart, loyal and fun to be around. My family has two of them. Jake and Elsie.

Scott

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I have a beagle and wouldn't trade him for any other breed. Of course, you really should do something like the breed selector's available on Waltham's and Purina's website. They will make the best breed recommendations based on your lifestyle.

When I did it the Beagles always came up in the top 3....major plus that I had always found them to be attractive dogs.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I will second the standard poodle. I grew up with them. Extremely smart, dont shed, good sense of humor, and does have a need to be part of a family. Chances are you will not get one, so I felt I should throw a shout out for the often overlooked pooches because of its haircut. I don't blame you, it is a bit much. If you do get a standard poodle, go with what they call a "lamb cut" or what I call the "lamb chop". Its just like it sounds, which is better than the normal poodle cut IMHO.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Not many dogs are considered hypoallergenic. There are 3 that I know of:

Poodles

American Eskimos

Samoyeds

I have a samoyed and he is a wonderful dog. My wife is allergic to animal hair but he doesn't bother her at all nor does anyone else with allergies. Samoyeds are all white sled dogs, similar to huskies but a little sturdier and much less hard headed.

We have a small townhouse and he is very content with going on a couple walks a day. He doesn't need much exercise. Yes he does shed but it's not a continual thing like labs, shepherds etc. He sheds twice a year and it is a pain getting all the hair brushed off him. However once his shedding cycle is over he hardly loses a hair (until the next cycle).

Jeff

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Not many dogs are considered hypoallergenic. There are 3 that I know of:
Poodles
American Eskimos
Samoyeds
Add one more, Jeff. Yorkshire Terriers are indeed hypo-allergenic. They generate no dander in their scalp and do not shed at all.

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
Adopt...Adopt...Adopt... There are so many great dogs out there that get thrown away every year. I agree that researching the type of dog you want is very important and the internet is a great place to research the type of dog you are looking for. If you want a purebreed, then look for breed rescue, otherwise go to your local Humain Society or shelter.
My companion Roscoe is a mixed breed and we adopted him at 10 months old and is now 2 years. He is very smart and loving, but requires at least 30 minutes of play(fetch or frisbee) a day. We have also gone thru basic and advanced obedience and is now taking agility training.
rosco.jpg

Roscoe at 10 months.
Good luck,
Steve

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll throw out another recommendation for beagles. Gotta love 'em!

Mike_Mack

Auditioning
my girlfriend has mentioned the yorkshire terrier that some people have talked about and also a west highland terrier. i just want to make sure these dogs aren't little pains in the asses. if they are energenic but can chill, that is a plus, but i really want a pretty smart dog. like some poeple have said on this thread (and why I am asking for info on all these dogs), make sure that you get the right dog for you. thanks for the help so far, this is better than a web search!:)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You've been researching, so you probably already have this, but there are books which detail the various breeds, and their needs. They help you choose the dog that fits your lifestyle, and help prevent
I used to work in a pet store and saw so many dogs come back or end up in the pound because the people bought the wrong dog.
Something else to keep in mind: your work schedule. Would the dog be left alone all day? Will you keep it in a cage, or out in the yard, or free in the house? If in a cage, will you or someone else in the family be able to stop by once or twice during the day (every day) to feed it, let it out, etc.?
As for purebreds vs. mutts: purebreeds are much more expensive, but you can get what you want. Mutts are much cheaper (initially), and are a shot in the dark, but can make the best dogs -- and you can save a dog whose previous owner didn't consider the responsibilities fully.
That said, here's thoughts on various dogs:
If you decide on a Schnauzer or mini-dauchsund, my Aunt is a breeder :) And the mini-dauchsunds are surprisingly fun, smart dogs. My family is now hooked! I'd love to get a mini-dauchsund, they are really a lot of fun. Schnauzers I don't care for; they're kinda boring.
A friend owns a couple of greyhounds, gotten through the Greyhound Rescue organization. I believe they are very easy-going dogs.
My sister & brother-in-law, to go with their 7-lb mini-dauchsund, also have Swiss Mountain dog. This dog is a horse! (will be ~150lbs full grown) But it is incredibly good-tempered, friendly, and fun. They are supposed to be excellent with children and friendly to strangers. But they are rarer than other breeds, and harder to come by (and more expensive).

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I agree with Adoption. Humane Society/Rescue Sheltered pets are hardier and have great temperments. As an added bonus, The Shelter tends to look out for the pet interests, rather than making a quick buck. Spend time with the potential pet before you make a purchase. Shelters usually have a trial period for you and the pet.

With allergies, it's pretty much down to the reaction to the dog's saliva. It has little to do with dander, hair,shedding ...although it becomes a factor, because if your dog is especially neat and licks alot then the amount they shed will put the saliva particles in the air.

Allergy tests for dogs aren't a great marker because the commercial extracts are for certain breeds but NOT ALL breeds (and it's darn near impossible for the allergist to tell you what bred was in the extract....cause they don't know). So the tests are a start but not the final say.

What that means is you have to try lots of different breeds and determine what you body's reaction will be to that breed. Don't get too hung up on the breed. Try out different dogs as they will often surprise you and make you consider a dog that on paper, you never would have considered before. Good luck.

BTW. Please spade/neuter the dog (I sound like Bob Barker). Get them tatooed and get the id chip to have them registered on PetNet. It's a worthwhile purchase...trust me.

(Same goes for cats).

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
Check out Your Purebred Puppy: A Buyer's Guide by Michele Welton. You might try your public library to see if they have a copy. (I have what I think is an earlier edition of this book, but the author's name is Lowell. I think perhaps she got married. Keep both names in mind if you go to the library.) This book describes the characteristics of all the AKC breeds plus a few other non-AKC breeds. It will help you define your requirements and then guide you to the breeds that will be appropriate for you.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My ex has had several dogs over the years and absolutely swears by mutts. Fewer health problems, and if you can get an idea of what the mixture is, you can pretty much trust that it will have the general temperament of whatever his or her forebears were.
My little dog is a Corgiterripoo-half Corgi, quarter poodle, quarter terrier.
She combines the loyalty and calmness of the Corgi with the smarts of the poodle and the watchdog skills of the terrier.
Corgis were originally herders, so she's quit good at rounding up the cat when asked to.
As far as avoiding a troublesome dog, one thing you must do is establish yourself as dominant. My ex swears by this method:
Pick the puppy up and look it straight in the eyes. If it stares back, it will challenge your authority and possibly have behavior problems. The pup should look at you briefly, then avert it's eyes as a sign of submission.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for the pound, or at least a rescue. In good conscience I cannot buy another purebred (owned dalmations and weimeraners when younger) when thousands of great dogs are destroyed every day.

You can get just about any fairly common unregistered purebred at a shelter if you put a little effort into it (yes, purebred dogs are ditched all the time), and you can find a lot of great mixes as well.

We got 'Dex' back in early December, and he was well mannered and completely housebroken at 4 months of age. The vet has checked out his joints and other possible problem areas and says he is looking damned good. He's strong as a horse and smart as a whip...all 15.5 pounds of him (so far).

He's half Jack Russell (but not spastic) and the other half is Australian Shepherd and Border Collie. Every where we take him people ask him what breed he is and where they can get one. Purebred Jack Russell owners rave over him and talk about what a great looking dog he is and what a great personality he has.

You owe it to yourself to take a trip to the shelter.

BryanW

Agent
I've had two yorkshire terriers the first one lived 15 years and was one of the family ! We just bought the second one about 6 months ago and was easy to house break. Yorkies are great house dogs that only eat about a cup of food a day. Wouldn't own any other bread!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks