getting a dog....any breed recomendations???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Mack, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Mike_Mack

Mike_Mack Auditioning

i am now in the search for a dog, i was trying to research temperments of all different breeds. i figured there must be countless dog owners in the forum, tell me about your dogs.

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I have a Shepherd/Lab mix named Nova. He's great with my Nephews who are 11 and 9, Nova is almost 6.
    Just this morning I let him out in my back field (I live in the country) and he immediately went around the side of the house and started growling towards the driveway. It was still dark out so I turned on the outside light and took a look. Sure enough I had left my car door slightly ajar after doing groceries yesterday before the big game and the inside light was still on.
    I can't imagine what would have happened if Nova caught someone in the act trying to break into my car. I would feel a little sorry for the poor bastard! [​IMG]

3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Golden retrievers are intelligent, affectionate, loyal, gentle, eager to please, and easy going. Some breeds, like border collies, are so intellligent and active that they require a job to perform in order to feel useful. I love border collies, but they require more active attention than most people (including me) can give. They are terrific animals, but they get bored easily and can be destructive as a result.

But golden retrievers, although they have the intelligence and amazing attention span required to be a working dog (they make great seeing eye dogs, for instance), they don't require a job in order to feel useful. They are just as happy to kick back and take a nap with you in the back yard hammock on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Golden retrievers see their "usefulness" as being fulfilled just by spending time with you, doing whatever you want to do. This makes golden retrievers the perfect family companion, in my opinion.

Their coats need brushing every couple of days (every day, if they are particularly active in the back yard, say, playing with the kids), but they are otherwise very easy to care for. Keep up with it, and it's an easy and quick job to perform.

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Black or yellow labrador or lab mix.

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Do you want a big dog or a small dog? Inside or Outside? Male or female?

I own two weiner dogs, and they are absolutely the most wonderful dogs. Although due to their backs you have to be very careful with them. They love to play and dig under things. Worst part about dachshunds is that they are very stubborn and if you don't bath them very often you get a hound smell in your house. We bath ours once a week and we don't have a smell problem.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Mike, are you going to be in an apartment or a house? Will you have a yard? Do you have a lot of flowers/plants that you care about in the yard.

I've had labs for 15 years, and they are wonderful dogs. But their puppyhood can be trying, and it helps a lot to have a yard that they can learn potty training, run around, and chase stuff in. They are prone to chew, but if you keep toys around they should be well behaved.

But they are great dogs; very mild-tempered yet protective. Its just the first six months was a living hell; it really doesn't matter how good you are or how nice you are, they simply don't have the muscle control to hold it.

7. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

I mightas well throw in my recommendation for a goldie. Brian pretty much summed up their general temperament, so there's not much else to say. Perhaps you should mention what you are looking for in a dog, or whether you have small general etc.? Goldens probably don't make the best guard dogs, since they are generally extremely friendly, although mine would bark at anyone knocking on the door, or the mailman, etc.

Perhaps another trait to look for is water affinity. Goldens(and labs) love water, so giving them a bath is no problem. They'll usually just stand there contentedly while you give them a good rub down.

Goldens do have long haired coats, so if you keep yours indoors, do expect lots of hair to be all over the place.

8. Mike_Mack

Mike_Mack Auditioning

Kelley_B, I have a small house with a small yard, but I guess what I am most concerned with is the fact my girlfriend is slightly allergic to dogs I think, so I may need a hypoallergenic dog, so if you or anyone else for that matter has any info about those kinds of dogs that is appreciated too. I still encourage finding out about all dogs as well. Thanks for the info so far![​IMG]

9. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

German Shephard and Yorkshire Terrier here.
    GS's are extremely intelligent, loyal, protective, and eager to please. Why do you think the police force uses them? [​IMG]
    They are a rather large dog if space is an issue and they do shed their coat. All things considered, when I think of a dog I have always thought of this breed and I love them!
    Yorkie's are tiny, reasonably intelligent, and don't shed at all (which is great if you have allergies), but their coats do require regular trimming as it grows much like human hair. They are also very protective and actually believe they are as large and intimidating as a German Shephard. Ah, the spirit of a terrier!
    I hope this has helped you with a couple of breeds. Enjoy your search, Mike.

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Mike: it sounds like you need to check out this site for the sake of your allergic girlfriend. Hairless Dogs [​IMG]

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I just got a Pug puppy in September, and have to say it is one of the smarter dogs I have owned. He was/is completely house broken by 3-4 months. He is a typical lap dog, but like most puppies wants attention all of the time.
    As for the breed, getting a pug, you have to be aware of one thing...they are almost strictly a house dog. Due to their body makeup (small nose short coat) they can easily overheat in the summer or get too cold in the winter. He loves going for walks though and playing with my other dog (an airdale terrier).
    I have really enjoyed the little fellow but people will either think the pugs are ugly as sin or totally adorable. I guess I fall in the category of the later.[​IMG]
    J

12. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

It's hard to give advice on what dog breed to pick. I used to work in a pet store and saw so many dogs come back or end up in the pound because the people bought the wrong dog.
    The big question is how much time are you going to be able to spend with your new puppy? How much room do you have? Some dogs need more space than others, some dogs are pretty hyper, some are more reserved. What kind of a person are you? Do you have lots of engergy and can you devote lots of time to play with your dog? Do you have children? Those are questions you have to ask yourself before making a purchase, after all this doggy will become a part of the family. [​IMG]
    Before making a purchase take the family with you to the pet store or kennel and have them interact with the puppy, see how everyone gets along. Good luck on whatever breed you decide on. That being said, I have 3 Chihuahua's whom I love dearly. They are pint sized, great burgler alarms, and very loyal and affectionate. What's more is they make the perfect lap dogs.
    Peace,
    Eve

13. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

get a greyhound or a whippet, both are very mild mannered and great with people. also neither shed too much and are usually ok with people who have allergies. Plus greyhounds need to be adopted...small apartments are ok for them too, because , and i know this sounds cruel but, their whole racing lives they are kept in small crates so in a big house the dog wouldn't know what to do with itself. whippets are bite-sized greyhounds. cool looking dogs

14. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

French Poodle...smart, overly nice, playful, and become as one with the family

15. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'm a sucker for either weimerainers or labs since my family's dog was a beautiful half weim / half black lab. i still miss her to this day. [​IMG]
    kevin t

16. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    With a small house, a small yard, and allergies to contend with, you may want to consider a non-shedding lap dog, like the afore mentioned Yorkshire terriers and French (toy) poodles. The Yorkies are affectionate and alert, and the poodles can be intelligent to an almost frightening degree. My parents had a toy poodle that knew the names of everyone in my extended family (and their dogs’ names, too!). He had a command vocabulary of about 200 words and an understanding vocabulary that almost couldn’t be measured. My parents had to begin spelling in front of him (like parents do in front of toddlers, so they won’t know what they’re talking about), and he caught on to that as well. I’ve never known a smarter dog.

Keep in mind that these are definitely indoor dogs, so try your best to find out if the lack of shedding minimizes the allergic reactions.

Both Yorkies and toy poodles have a reputation for being high strung, but calm, gentle dogs in these breeds can easily be found if you look around.

Still, goldens are my favorite family dog.

Having said that, I recently heard this very question posed to a dog show judge on NPR, and he said that the pure-bred dogs, particularly those that have arisen in the last few hundred years, have problems caused by the limitations placed on the individual breeds’ gene pools. Recessive genetic diseases are increasing in frequency and severity in almost all pure-bred dogs. He said that unless you plan to enter dog shows, the absolute best and healthiest canine friend you can get for your family is a mutt from your local shelter.

I can’t argue with that.

17. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

Another recommendation for German Shepherd. I'm on my seventh--I've had one since I was a kid. They are great outside dogs, but one thing is that they shed like mad.

18. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

If temperment is all important, I second the Greyhound. But one of the most docile dogs is the Great Dane. That's what we have. He's been a great companion for the last 6 years. The only draw back to a very large dog is if they become ill and can't move, it can be tough getting them to the vet.

19. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Beagle over here. They are great medium-sized dogs. Very mild-mannered, playful and eager dogs. Keep in mind that they love large spaces to run and play (mine did) and they love to go for walks. Great companion dogs.[​IMG]

20. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I have an Akita, but they need more space than it sounds like you have. Ours is a female, which are much better with kids.

She is friendly, but folks coming to the house are scared of her (she's pretty intimidating), which is what we wanted.

She only blows her outer coat (sheds) twice a year. It's a mess when it goes on, but there's no hair coming out except during that time.

As a bonus, she's a strikingly beautiful dog. She gets lots of compliments when we're out walking.

Tony