What's new

Getting a Dish, what receiver to get? (1 Viewer)

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I'm going to subscribe to the Dish Network and I wanted to know my choices of receivers. I don't have HDTV and don't plan on one any time soon, so that won't matter. I want good sound, but my audio receiver is only 5.1 ready (my DVD has the decoder). I'm moving into a house that already had Dish Network and the dish is still on the roof. Is that any advantage? Any help is appreciated!

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I forgot to add that I have my DVD hooked up thru component inputs and there is a open S-Video input on the back of my tv. Not sure if that info is pertinent, but I thought I'd throw that in.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Adrian,
There is a Dolby Digital 5.1 reciever available for Dis Network. I have one, but I cannot find the model number. It is pretty nice, It was a hundred dollars more than a normal reciever, but well worth it.
good luck,
dan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adrian,
The most of the Dish receivers have Dolby Digital. The HD6000, Dishplayers, PVR501 and 4900 models. Unfortunately, they are all optical out and will not work with your DD ready system. Try and find a used outboard decoder on Ebay. Technics made one but I'm not sure the model number.
The 6000 is the high def receiver which will probably be over kill for your system. The dishplayers have been discontinued but you can still pick them up from U-bid or Sears. They are kind of buggy but I like mine. The PVR501 is the newer model recorder. It had a software upgrade last week and most of the users are very happy with them now. The 4900 is a basic receiver with no recording. It runs on the OpenTV operating system (like the 501).
All of the models I mentioned have S-video out.
-Robert

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Consider the DishPVR 501. If you have never subscribed to Dish Network, there are very good new subscriber incentives, and you can get this otherwise somewhat expensive receiver for next to nothing at the time you sign on.
The receiver has a number of advantages:
* Records to an internal hard disk in the receiver - no tape needed to time shift or record programs for later viewing
* "TV Pause" - allows you to pause, fastforward, or rewind any channel you are currently viewing. If the phone rings, just press "pause". If you couldn't tell what the character just said, press the 10-second replay button and hear it again. When the commercial starts, press the 30-second advance button and skip over it (if you have previously "paused" - you can't jump into the future!). Spouses love this feature...
* Guide downloaded to the hard drive - this means that you have instant access to the on-screen Program Guide. DBS Receivers that don't have a hard drive, make you wait to see the information while it is being accessed from the satellite.
* Dolby Digital optical output
If you don't have a local dealer you want to use, check out some of the "New Subscriber" deals atwww.dishdepot.com .

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I love this forum, so many people willing to help.
Robert, you suggested I look for an outboard decoder. I checked out what they had on ebay, and it looks like around $100 for one (if someone knows something different, let me know). This might be a question for the home theater hardware section, but would it be better to just buy a receiver with a built-in decoder? I don't have much cash to spare right now, so I might have to wait to do that. If I don't get one (a decoder or new audio receiver), can I assume that I can still hear channels in Pro Logic that are broadcast in stereo through my Pro Logic receiver?
Thanks in advance,
Adrian

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the outboard decoders would be cheaper but I guess I'm wrong. It will be best to wait and pick up a receiver with DD/DTS decoding built in. I picked up a close-out model receiver from Egghead.com for 70% off. It works great and I saved a lot of money.
Yes you will hear surround sound with your PL receiver.
Dish only has DD sound on Starz east, Showtime east, PPV and hopefully soon HBO so your not missing much. Also I will second Ken's suggestion on getting a PVR receiver. I have the Dishplayer and use it all of the time.
-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks