Getting a "bug" out of a Mitsu 55" HDTV -- literally!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Harvey, May 7, 2002.

1. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

My friend has quite the dilemna. He's has had his new 16:9 Mitsubishi 55" HDTV for about 2 weeks, and yesterday discovered a moth that looked like it was sitting right on the protective plastic shield. On closer inspection, the moth somehow is inside the TV, sitting right in the prime focus area of the screen. We have absolutely no idea how to get this sucker out.

Does anyone here have experience in removing the plastic shield from the set? I know alot of you here do this to reduce glare on your sets, but I'd certainly appreciate some step-by-step instructions before we go disassembling his new $2500 TV. Is this something we can even do ourselves?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Very easy to do.
    Pull off the front grill cover. There you will see brackets with screws attached to the bottom of the screen frame and the front of the set. Unscrew and from the bottom of the screen pull forward a few inches and lift up. The screen assembly will lift off. The moth will be free, that is if it is inside the TV. Not sure by your post, but if the moth is inbetween the lenses, it will be a little more difficult to pull the screens apart.
    If the moth is inbetween the lenses, click HERE for a post at the SPot with pics on how to seperate the lenses.
    Oh yeah, BE VERY CAREFUL not to scratch the screen.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson Stunt Coordinator

Chad Erickson
    I have the exact same TV and have run into a problem with spiders. My wife thought the spider a part of the show we were watching. She couldn't figure out why I was swearing at the TV. Luck for me the spiders either died or moved because they were only there for a day.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, since you bring up the spider, I was going to ask about the lifespan of a typical moth. Any possibility the thing would just die and drop after a few days? Of course, you still don't want bug corpses litering the inside of your expensive, pride-and-joy of an RPTV.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If you have a warranty I would let the repair shop deal with it [​IMG] You don't want to find out because you opened up the set that you voided your warranty. You can always call Mitsubishi & ask them what to do. Everytime I have talked to Mits. they have been nothing but nice.

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I once had a spider inside the set too. Opened it up, found and removed the bugger and also "cleaned out" the cobwebs he started in there. I then proceeded to spray some insecticide or something around the set...not inside...some preventive maintenance I must say.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

8. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

I had a spider in my Samsung standard set, I just took the back off and got him out.