What's new

Getting 5.1 audio out from TV (1 Viewer)

crazylad

Auditioning
Real Name
Kannan K
Hello, I have an internet capable LED TV. I want to be able to take audio out of the TV to a 5.1 receiver and listen to 5.1 audio for those programs that are broadcast/streamed in 5.1 audio. Can the Optical Digital Audio Out in the TV serve my needs? Please advise.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are using the TV's internal tuner, then it will work when watching a program with DD 5.1 (or 2.0). If you are using an external tuner like a TiVo, cable box or a satellite box, then there is a 99.9% chance this will not work.

crazylad

Auditioning
Real Name
Kannan K
Originally Posted by Robert_J

If you are using the TV's internal tuner, then it will work when watching a program with DD 5.1 (or 2.0). If you are using an external tuner like a TiVo, cable box or a satellite box, then there is a 99.9% chance this will not work.

Hi Robert, thank you for your response. What about the HD content streamed from internet. (Ex. Netflix, Amazon On Demand)? Can Optical Digital Audio out give out 5.1 audio?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is your TV streaming it or some device connected to the TV? TV - probably but I'm not familiar with any of the new TVs that can stream content. Check your owner's manual. Device connected to your TV - see previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks