What's new

Get your Windows 2000/XP patched up (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Windows XP firewall is very useful IMO... It blocks everything, and then you open the ports you want to allow incoming traffic on - essentially the same thing as you do on a linksys or netgear router (without the limitations on amount of port forwards allowed)... Very handy for free, and much more usable that Win2k's but certainly not as flashy as ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
To make it a bit easier for installing the patch... if you go to Windows Update, just make sure you download

Security Update for Windows XP (823980)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I got shafted by this worm yesterday as well and it drove me nuts, what still is driving me nuts was the cause I looked into this (it only affected when I was on Juno [banner code is easy to remove ;)] but not when I am on AOL.

I cannot connect to Battle.net for Diablo 2 : Lord of Destruction, it would seem legit that the worm is DoS me. I connected to bnet for Starcraft but not LoD. I was on the phone between Blizzard [great support] and HP [just terrible support] for over 3 hours.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-lovesan_x.htm

Simplistic get to the point killer :

http://download.nai.com/products/mca...rt/stinger.exe

-Bert

My brother just called me panicked since this hit his computer. Unfortunately, he didn't know what to do so he just shut off the computer in the middle of it. Now, when he turns it on, it won't even go his desktop as he is getting the blue screen showing 'physical memory dump' for a second before it reboots all over again. Is there any way to get this to run through without it rebooting itself over and over so he can get in and fix this? please help!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jose, I think he can go into safe mode and start it and work his way through the removal process from there. I haven't started WinXP in safe mode, but I believe that you do it by pressing the F8 key during boot-up in that OS as well.

/Mike

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Yeh, tap F8 [mostly on your computer manufactures plug screen] and then when the DOS menu appears, hit enter on Safe Mode.

No time to explain, sorry.

Okay, thanks guys, this is helping. I'm on the phone with him, and now it is not rebooting constantly. It has many menu options now in the troubleshooting screens. It has these options:
  1. Safe mode
  2. Safe mode with networking
  3. Safe mode with command prompt
  4. (blank line)
  5. Enable boot logging
  6. Enable VGA mode
  7. Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
  8. Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
  9. Debugging mode
  10. (blank line)
  11. Start Windows Normally
  12. Reboot[/list=1]

Anyone have experience at this point now? Sorry for all the questions, but I feel bad for him as he is freaking out. Thanks!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you want to stop the machine rebooting long enough to get the patch, virus removal tool and firewall, try this:

Right-click on My Computer and select Manage.

In the left column of the Management window, open up Services & Applications.

Click on Services.

In the right side of the window, scroll down 'till you find Remote Procedure Call. Right-click on it and select Properties.

Click on the Recovery tab.

Change the three drop-down options to 'Take No Action'.

This will stop the machine rebooting when the RPC call is made. HOWEVER - it is imperative that you then download the patch from Microsoft and run one of the free removal tools available for this virus. And the ZoneAlarm firewall (or alternative).

Remember to set those options back to their original setting once you've installed/patched/cleaned everything.

Patch available from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

Stinger removal tool available here:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp#stinger

ZoneAlarm firewall from here:
www.zonealarm.com

It won't even get to the desktop screen though, so there is no way to get into My Computer. What do you do in that case? If I need to ask these questions elsewhere, just let me know. I don't intend to hijack the thread. Thanks!

Sorry, should've mentioned with my last post: When he chooses safe mode, it scrolls through a bunch of lines, (kinda like when you try and get the directory listing), and then reboots anyway, over and over again. So safe mode just sends it back into the rebooting mode.

that sucks...thanks for the help anyway. I'll tell him to start looking for his windows disk that came with his comp. How will he install it if he can't boot it? Anyway, thanks to all for your help.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Aw man, I spent the entire day eradicating this Blaster worm off so many people's PCs and laptops. What a wasted day this was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks