Get your Game Face (TM) On...Tiger Woods 2004

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Rock, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

It's Spooky...I can see myself on TV!

Now, common gamers like us get to experience what was once reserved for Celebrities only...having our own likeness in a video game.

With EA's new "Game Face" mode, create-a-player mode is taken well beyond the next level. You can construct a face and body that is eerily similar to your own. The guy I created to represent me is spot on.

Game Face mode is the coolest feature I've seen in a game this year, much better (IMO) than managing the price of a Rocky Mountain Oysters-'n'-Beer combo at your newly constructed monstrosity you call a football stadium. Much cooler than collecting Bobbleheads of your favorite NFL Teams and displaying them in your virtual "crib".

On top of this, there are many modes added this year, designed to breathe some fresh air into an evening of multiplayer fun. With 19 courses (the box says 20, maybe they're including the "Tigers Dream 18" course as the 20th) to choose from, you'll be playing this game for months before you've seen all it has to offer.

Add to all this the already-demonstrated-as-kickass gameplay from the Tiger Woods series, and you have one heck of a game.

I do have a list of things to whine about though:
    - No Online Support for XBOX.
    - No Widescreen (but it IS 480p, despite IGN claiming that it's not).
    - New Announcer Guy that Takes the Place of the Old Announcer Guy that I Was Just Getting Used To. Plus, I find the New Guy's voice to be irritating.
    - 75% of the Same Commentary (from the Other Old Announcer Guy)

Anyway, this is a great game. If you're thinking that it's not worth upgrading, well, you're wrong.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong. (To borrow from Dennis Miller)

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I can always count on you for a sports game review Chris. Thanks.

Im going to pick this one up after work.

3. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I loved 2003, the analog swing made it more fun. Especially with novices for a multiplayer game.

How are the graphics compared to last year? What are the modes for multiplayer fun that you mentioned?

4. Bob East

Bob East Agent

The biggest problem I have with the Tiger Woods series is that it is too easy. It is a rare occasion when a drive does not go straight down the fairway. A review of this years edition found this to be the case again. The reviewer indicated he would like to see a slider instituted to make the analog swing less forgiving. If they did this, I would be buying this years edition. As it is, I'll wait for Links or a cheap used copy of TW2004 when it becomes available.

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I agree with that Bob, it was pretty easy but I still had a blast playing it. I don't play games all that much so I usually give up on the 'harder' ones. Tiger Woods 2003 is one of a few games that I have actually finished, I have so many games I really liked but got too damn hard for me.

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I picked it up yesterday just to tide me over until Links 2004.

7. Chris Rock

THe graphics are practically identical to last year's, which doesn't mean they're bad. I sense a bit more color in this year's game. There are also more animations for the characters.

Yes, this is an easy game, but that's not a bad thing. You're right, though...those looking for a sim-heavy colf game should turn their attention elsewhere. I have a feeling, though, that those who prefer the stress of real golf are in the minority when it comes to console golf gaming. That being said - a slider to adjust the difficulty would have been a good idea.

I love this game because it is not only a blast to play in multiplayer, but also because it is chock full of unlockables and other reasons to keep playing the single player modes.

8. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

9. Chris Rock

10. Robin Banks

Robin Banks Extra

I waited a long time for the 2003 version to go on sale. Is the new version really worth trading in the old towards the purchase of a new one?

In the "Game Face" mode, can you create a face that resembles a child? My nephew (5 yrs. old) would get a kick out of that when he comes over. [​IMG] Tiger Woods is about the only game he can play without taking a beating from the computer AI. [​IMG]

LOL

11. Chris Rock

At my EB, there was a deal where they'd give you an extra 5 bucks toward the purchase of EA Sports games.

I don't think you can create a child's face...but a kid might have fun creating wacky looking characters.

Yes, it is worth it.

12. RossH

RossH Stunt Coordinator

Ross Hudgins
    I just rented this Wednesday, cause I wasn't sure I would like it enough to buy...well, I'm sure now!

I've never played Links, but for my video-game-golf needs, this fits the bill. I wouldn't want things too realistic to not be any fun, but it's not totally fake either...perfect mix, if you ask me.

I'm not digging the music Trax for the most part, but I'll keep trying. Fortunately you can turn the really weak songs off...I hate when it's either on or off with music in games.

I created my own guy, thumbs up on that process...although I couldn't find any eye glasses, outside of the sunglasses you can buy...now I just gotta win some money so he doesn't suck so bad. [​IMG]

Bottom line, this game is fun, I'm gonna buy it. I held off last year, but I'm sold this time!

13. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Yeah, I rented it last night, I would definitely get it. The create-a-player is pretty nifty. I would like to see a difficulty slider though, it is too easy to hit every fairway.

14. Ryan_Walsh

Ryan_Walsh Stunt Coordinator

It's pretty easy to hit the fairway with Tiger Woods' driving accuracy in the high 90's. But with my created player's driving accuracy around 30% I probably hit 7-9 fairways a round where I actually have a chance of being on the green in regulation. I think the addition of the driving accuracy meter made the game a lot more difficult. I also find the analog stick more sensitive, requiring greater precision to hit the ball straight.

15. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I'm loving this game so far. My only complaint is the music. Terrible, terrible, terrible. I had to go and shut off all the music.

John Daly looks terrible in this game. I'm suprised he would OK that look for him. But of course he does look pretty bad in general after booze/drug rehab and 4 wifes [​IMG]

Paul

16. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I found this game to be plagued with AI problems. Sometimes when they are in a sandtrap, they will try and chip it out, only for it not to move. So they keep doing it. This rule also applies to getting the ball in the bushes and stuff like that. Really bad AI. Other than that, the Xbox version I'm really pleased with, only I wish it had multiplayer.
    THanks

17. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

To all the folks who want a difficulty slider:

Just as real golf is easier in the sunshine with no wind or rain, video game golf is as well. Crank the weather effects as high as they go, turn off the ball spin feature, and I think you'll find it more of a challenge....

18. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

If anyone wants to play online i'll be more then happy to kick your butt hahahaha

Anyways my username is 'Winthrop' I am usually in the East Lobby once logged in. If you see me there and want to play a round just send me a challenge.

Any one else try the playing online yet?

Paul

19. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

20. runnersdialzero

runnersdialzero Stunt Coordinator

Trying to trade my played once Tiger Woods 2004 GameCube game for your Tiger Woods 2004 Playstation 2 game. My girlfriend and I are long time Tiger Woods PS2 fans and we just can't get use to the GameCube controller for this game. I hate it because the graphics are better on the GameCube version. E-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Saxon