What's new

Get XBR400 or Sound system? (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I'll have the opportunity to (finally!!) get the 32XBR400 at the end of this month (or shortly thereafter). Should I just get the lesser model 32FV27 and spend the other thousand on a sound system? Does the actual picture improvement above the FV27 warrant spending an extra $700.00 for the XBR400? I have seen both models in the store, and from what I've seen they have a very similar picture quality (only noticeable difference I could see was no scanlines on the XBR400).
So...should I get an FV27 and spend the other thousand on a soundsystem instead? :)
- Brian

nousername

Supporting Actor
I am sort of in a similar dilemma. I just bought a 36FV27 and was wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the 36XBR400 or 36XBR450 instead. I have a non-progressive scan DVD player (Panasonic DVD-RV31). Will the 36XBR450 give me a dramatically better picture, or would I need to get a pregressive scan DVD player to see any differences? I am not planning to upgrade the DVD player unless there's a dramatic difference. I only watch DVD's by the way...

MikeM

Screenwriter
You will NOT need a progressive scan player with the XBR400. This is just my opinion, but I've had both, and the difference is absolutely unnoticable on this direct view TV.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Mike E W

Agent
I would say there is a difference with a progressive player but its subtle. If this is going to be your main set for the next many years I would step up to the XBR.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Brian, I had the same problem as you 6 months ago. I would suggest put the extra money into the set and get the XBR400. The other units were Sonys' first versions of this flat screen type set and they are known for many, many more problems than the XBR line. Spending that much money... I did not risk it. I went for a 36" XBR400 and I am glad I did not choose the lower model. I plan on upgrading my sound system later. I currently put up with Dobly pro-logic decoding at the moment.
------------------
The EC
The Entertainment Cave
"People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch"
http://192.41.19.35/goodgets/crotch.wav

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I'm not sure where you are getting "extra thousand" unless there is a typo in which models you are considering.
The KV-32XBR400 is only about $150 more than the KV-32FV26, and the new models are running about $75 more than the old ones, so you would only save $75 by getting the FV27, not a "thousand".
You only should have to pay about $1600 for the 32" XBR400.
Also, I have to disagree with Darrin on about every point! (Sorry!)
There are currently no problems with the FS or FV Wegas that are not also found in the XBRs. I recently purchased a KV-32FS12 and haven't experienced any of the problems - most of those reports are in previous model years, anyway.
And, I would say that the difference between Dolby ProLogic and Dolby Digital is much more than the difference between any two Sony Wega TVs of the same size. (However, as mentioned at the top, the price difference between the TVs is not anywhere near enough to buy a DD receiver.)
BTW, if you do not have analog cable, then the FS12/FS13 will save you several hundred dollars over the FV26/FV27, since those only add PIP, better comb filter, and better internal sound system, none of which you will use if you don't use analog cable (or a lot of "rabbit ears", ie OTA).

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Ken- $700 is almost an extra thousand: The KV-32FV27 is listed for $1299.99 on Sony's site. The 32XBR400 is listed as $1999.99. As per the suggestions on this thread, I believe I will be spending the extra money on the XBR400 model. I'm sure I won't regret it (judging from the picture I've seen in the store).
One last question: Should I wait a little longer and save just a bit more for the 36XBR400?
- Brian

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
The low ball price for the FV27 is $1078 (I mistakenly used the 36" price for that one in my previous post). The lowest price for the XBR400 is $1529.
This is a $450 difference.
It's borderline.
frown.gif
:)
BTW, the low price on the FS12 is $797, in case you don't have analog cable.
I think that it all boils down to whether you see yourself replacing the set any time in the next 5 years. If the answer to that is "yes", then get the lesser Wega and a DD/DTS receiver. If the answer to that is "no", then get the XBR400.
Another aspect is whether 32" is going to be big enough for you to keep the same set. Again, if the answer to that is "yes", then go with the XBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks