Get Stuffed!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by stephanX, Jan 3, 2005.

1. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

How much does stuffing actually increase the box size the driver "sees"? can i have a percentage roughly for different materials?

The materials i am MOST concerned with are

Dacron
    Egg carton foam
    Acoustastuff
    Polyfill
    and synthetic wool

Ive always heard people say " that box is a bit small, might wanna consider stuffing it" or something along those lines. Yet i never heard how much it increases the virtual volume.

Anyone feel free to answer, i want as many opinions as possable so i can get an average number!

2. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

3. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

According to that stuffing 1lb of that stuff in a 6cuft box will make it get a volume increase of 25 %. True or false? and in win isd it shows my port size as going DOWN with same tuning and larger box. this cant be right... can it?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The larger the box, the less porting you need to achieve a specific tuning frequency. So, if you keep the port length/width the same, and increase the box size, the tuning frequency goes down (but port noise and volume size becomes the constraints in this situation).

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Depends on the driver and the box. Adding damping isn't an exact science and WinISD isn't reliable, so you need to experiment.

IMO, people shouldn't one model with the idea that the damping can literally substitute for an actual increase in box size. Damping should be added to 'tune' the sound, not 'fake' a larger box