What's new

Get Smart! (2 Viewers)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Get Smart will most likely follow the price points of Sex & The City and Everybody Loves Raymond, I would assume.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It will be interesting to see what the prices are. I know HBO charges amazingly high prices for their shows (largely because they depend on DVD money to make a profit), but those shows are much more new than Get Smart! and would likely have a bigger potential audience. I would hope HBO would know to price an older show at a lower price.

Still, if the set is as nice as, say, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I'd be perfectly willing to pay a somewhat higher price.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Generally HBO charges higher prices for their currently-running shows. For shows that are off the air (Mr. Show) or shows that run on another network (Everybody Loves Raymond), they charge more normal prices, so I would expect the same to happen with GS.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
My condolences to his family. We've lost a lot of TV icons this year- Eddie Albert, Peter Jennings, Bob Denver and now Mr. Adams. May he make the angels laugh.....

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I wonder, did he record anything for an upcoming dvd? (behind the scene stories, set props discussion or anything like that)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
As we already know by now, Don Adams just died 2 days ago at the age of 82. Diagnosis: lung cancer. In the original Get Smart series, he was frequently seen smoking.

Following in the footsteps of Peter Falk (Columbo) and Gene Barry (Burke's Law), Don was also in his 70s when he last played Maxwell Smart. That was in the sequel series in 1995!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
My condolences to his family. We've lost a lot of TV icons this year- Eddie Albert, Peter Jennings, Bob Denver and now Mr. Adams. May he make the angels laugh.....
And let's not forget Jimmy Doohan as well.

I agree, with Don Adams' untimely passing, it only seems fitting to remember and celebrate his life and career with the release of "Get Smart" (and the 1980 movie spinoff "The Nude Bomb", which I remember seeing when it came out - and all I remember about that movie was the last shot!) on DVD.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
As long as a DVD release continues to remain "a few months away," I decided to dig into my VHS tapes. I was able to record the whole series from Nick at Nite in the early 90s, starting with getting most of the "Maximum Smart" marathon and later recording those I didn't yet have.

The show holds up great. Also, as I had once heard a rumor that some of the Nick at Nite episodes were the original, uncut versions, I timed several of my VHS copies. As all were around 22 minutes and 10 seconds in length, it seems almost certain the Nick at Nite versions were the syndicated ones, based on the fact other late 1960s and 1970s sitcoms ran 24-26 minutes. All the more reason to get the DVDs.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The old rumor I had heard suggested a time frame of February or March, but that seems unlikely now. Best we can hope for is April or May.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
The old rumor I had heard suggested a time frame of February or March, but that seems unlikely now. Best we can hope for is April or May.
And, come April or May, we will probably have to hope for July or August. The sooner the better, of course.

Brian Wolman

Auditioning
Nick At Nite Maximum Smart Marathon: I also taped this. The fifth and final season may have been shown uncut. The original broadcasts included scenes from next weeks show, so the episodes themselves were of shorter length than previous seasons. I have found no evidence that anything was cut for the final season from the episodes shown on nick at nite.

However, I have a strong beleif the whole series on nick at nite were also time compressed.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
I know that it seemed to me that there were far more cuts in the TV Land versions. I was exposed to the show originally on Nick at Nite and when it aired on TV Land about ten years later there were a gazillion scenes I looked forward to seeing that were gone. I remember one in particular in which the Admiral was disguised as a lamp.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Seems like a long time since we have heard anything about this supposedly upcoming release. Has there been any word? Anyone hear rumors? Behind the scenes rumblings? This is perhaps the most deserving show to be on DVD that is not yet released.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It will probably be released around the same time the Steve Carrell movie comes out.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Jeff# said:
It will probably be released around the same time the Steve Carrell movie comes out.
Is that movie still coming out? It seems like the last word on this was that they couldn't even get a script together and Carrell had signed for other projects.
I've been wondering about the status of this also. Mark Evanier wrote in his blog it was coming out months ago, but since then there's been no word. As Paul Brownstein said, it's a shame that this couldn't have been released while Don Adams was able to contribute.
Steve

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Was Don Adams going to appear in a cameo role in the Get Smart remake? Has the movie even been produced? I haven't kept up on the news or Steve Carrell's career post 40 Year Old Virgin, so not sure if the script was being rewritten or not. Steve's still doing The Office TV sitcom.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The movie is not due to be filmed until next year, if at all. The problems with getting a script persist, even though a director has been attached. No way HBO should wait for the film to be released to get the DVDs out there. The film won't arrive until late 2007 at the earliest - if it arrives at all - and may not be any damn good. How will that help DVD sales?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks