What's new

Get ready for "Superbit- Deluxe-" DVDs..... (1 Viewer)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
According to an e-mail I just recieved from CNL.com(the Canadian e-tailer who broke the first superbit news), Columbia- Tri-Star is about to release "The Patriot" and "Hollow Man" as Superbit Deluxe titles. They will be 2 disc sets containing extras on the second disc.The release date is late May. The first thing that came to my mind, was why the heck didn't they do this for Superbit titles from the start????!

Marc.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
So you could buy them ALL OVER again. Now isn't that special of them.

Ooooh and think soon you can buy D-VHS Wow!!! I was hoping to attend VHS's funeral. So many formats so little time. Let's see:VHS,BETA,SUPERVHS,LASER(CED,CAV,etc,)DVD,SUPER BITDVD (SOON HDDVD,BLUEDVD..etc),.......

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The first thing that came to my mind, was why the heck didn't they do this for Superbit titles from the start????!
I suppose it's possible that sales have been sluggish for the Superbit titles so this is way of targeting the niche market that CTHV originally wanted plus appeal to the market who values the extras.

Just a guess, but in any case, I'm glad that to hear that Superbit Deluxe titles will be available in the near future.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
But I'm wondering if the first batch of Superbit titles, e.g. The Fifth Element, Desperado, etc going to be reissued as Deluxe Superbits?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I take it commentaries are still a "no" so both Patriot and Hollow Man would be deprived of these existing supplements on disc one of their respective deluxe superbit releases (unless disc 2 IS literally the old release again with the movie on?/??).

Dan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
doesn't this then basically eliminate "Superbit" as a thing?

Now it's back to Film only and SE, with the film getting the best possible treatment in both cases.

This should have been the norm from the start.

I realize that at first they were doing extras on the same disc, but WE were asking for this sort of approach right away, especially people who DIDN'T want the extras.

This "new" approach is what all DVD releases should be like - 1 or 2 discs (long films) film only highest quality possible. Then an SE made by throwing an additional disc or 2 of extras with the film only version.

Not that different from LD days. (though sometimes the non-SE would also only be CLV)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
What's next, "Superbit Super Deluxe Ultimate Edition"???

I agree that this is the way it should have been done from the beginning.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Not wasting my time. Don't have the technology to make superbits worth it. I'll wait a few years and get the HD-DVD when I get a cool setup.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I've been dying to get the superbits of:

Gattaca

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Vertical Limit

And I even sold my old copies, so I can get them, but they are quite pricey! If they had low prices, EVERYONE would buy them!!! Are they ever going to lower their prices???

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
There will be yet another version of the Superbit line coming out in a few months:

Super Superbit Fighter Turbo II.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Actually, I remember Roger Ebert commenting
on this during his television show.
He wondered why they couldn't do a SuperBit
DVD and put the extras on a second DVD.
Maybe someone at Columbia saw it. ;)
Mark

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Now I just hope they release Black Hawk Down as this special deluxe of Superbit where we get the extras to boot. Should be interesting to find out what they do with that one.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Superbit Deluxe:Columbia::Vista Series:Buena Vista
Both feature high bitrate video transfers & DTS on the first disc. Buena Vista may give you a few more DD5.1 language tracks.
:)
Regards,

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think they should make the 2 disk boxes with the second supplemental SE disk available cheaply for all the already-available superbit movies. I would really love a supebit+ version of The Fifth Element (even though that may not happen for a long time in region 1).

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
What's next, "Superbit Super Deluxe Ultimate Edition"???
Disc 1: Widescreen DTS-1509kbps

Disc 2: Widescreen DD-448kbps + DD-192kbps for Translations + Commentaries if applicable.

Disc 3: Pan&Scan DTS-1509kbps

Disc 4: Pan&Scan DD-448kbps OSL + DD-192kbps for Translations + Commentaries if applicable.

Disc 5: Extras

Could be interesting but a waste of disks...

Gerhard

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is good news!
Didn´t we all want a 2 disc set superbit?
Lets hope for the new Starship Troopers to be one of the candidates!
And Black Hawk Down to be released as a superbit delux from the start!Not a regular version first!

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I'm with you Gerhard , I also am hoping that Columbia Tristar is doing a Deluxe superbit edition of Black Hawk Down and Starship Troopers.
It would be very nice to have those movies with optimal picture and sound quality.
On the other hand I hope Columbia Tristar does right with all their future Superbit releases and make them all deluxe Superbit dvd's.
It was a shame that they didn't do it earlier with Dracula and The Fifth Element.
Ohw well we'll see how this turns out. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks