What's new

Get Danger Man / Secret Agent Man Megaset? (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I basically passed on the previous season releases (didn't pay attention to their existence). I am an old Prisoner fan and like Patrick in general, but I have never seen a Danger Man episode. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this megaset? Any technical issues? Are all episodes represented?

Thanks.

Doug

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I have been considering this purchase as well. I am a big Prisoner fan and own the set on DVD, but have never seen Danger Man.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
If you like a good spy drama, then Danger Man should suit you well. More than one person think that the lead in DM (John Drake)is 'The Prisoner'.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
But that's never been confirmed...
True... but....

altho PM has said 'The Prisoner' was not John Drake... George Markstein (co-creator of 'The Prisoner') has said beyond all doubt that "The Prisoner" *is* a post-Secret Agent John Drake..

never mind that in "The Girl Who Was Death" had Drake's contact from DM in a similar role, and both with the name "Potter" and the entire episode seemed to be a 'spoof' of DM/SA.... (I won't even go in the ACTOR in that episode by the name of.... John Drake)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I can't really take that episode too seriously. If anything, it could be seen as a tribute to Danger Man, but only PM knows for sure. I guess PM will never reveal if The Prisoner was indeed John Drake.

My question is, how does Danger Man compare to The Prisoner? I hold Prisoner in very high regard; would watching Danger Man enhance my love for it? Does the character John Drake resemble any of the Prisoner's character traits at all? I've always been curious about the show.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
never mind that in "The Girl Who Was Death" had Drake's contact from DM in a similar role, and both with the name "Potter" and the entire episode seemed to be a 'spoof' of DM/SA.... (I won't even go in the ACTOR in that episode by the name of.... John Drake)
I read somewhere that "The Girl Who Was Death" was actually written as a Danger Man story, changed slightly for the new show (probably just adding the final scene with the children), and produced as an episode of The Prisoner.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

It's very different. Danger Man/Secret Agent Man is pretty much just a straightforward James Bond-ish show. It doesn't have any of the strangeness or subversity of The Prisoner.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I love the megaset. I am currently going through it again. Usually I just watch my favorites, but this time I am watching all the episodes. I consider this set one of the cornerstones of my massive DVD collection. In my opinion, one has only to look at Drake's mannerisms (voice inflection, snapping fingers, etc.) to conclude that Drake is Number 6. PM couldn't legally use the name, but as an actor, bringing the same character ticks to both parts, it was clear to me that he was playing the same character. I never thought otherwise.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It doesn't help that the file photo of Number 6 that gets X'd out in the opening titles of The Prisoner (and subsequently used as a campaign poster in "Free For All") is a publicity head shot of Patrick McGoohan from Danger Man.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Doug_B said:
I basically passed on the previous season releases (didn't pay attention to their existence). I am an old Prisoner fan and like Patrick in general, but I have never seen a Danger Man episode. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this megaset? Any technical issues? Are all episodes represented? Thanks. Doug
As others have said, do not expect the surreal qualities of The Prisoner. I bought the Danger Man megaset when it was on sale some time ago. If you like Patrick MacGoohan in general, you should like Danger Man, as he is great in it. The first episode of Danger Man is actually filmed in the location that was later used for The Village in The Prisoner. The first season consists of 1/2 hour episodes. You'll be amazed at how intricate the plots can be in those short programs and how much suspense they can build up. MacGoohan was supposedly an American working for NATO in those, but he still sounds fairly British with that clipped delivery of his. He sometimes is undercover with an assumed accent that is not always convincing but that just adds to the fun. In the later 1 hour episodes he is a bona fide British agent. Made at the beginning of the spy craze of the 60's, it holds up pretty well, partly because the period was so stylish. While there is some tongue-in-cheek humor, it is not a spoof type of show like The Man From UNCLE or the Bond films. I actually like it more than the The Prisoner.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
w7273l.jpg
, Carab and Dalek. I have the complete DM megaset but haven't seen the 1/2-hour episodes yet as I was viewing the 1-hour eps from the original A/E megaset before I upgraded to the complete set. I've never seen the 1/2-hour season since those weren't syndicated in the US back in the 60's and I've not noticed if they had been aired since then. I have the Prisoner set as well and I've always liked the DM series best.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In some ways the half hour shows shine in a way the 50 minute shows don't. They are definitely worth watching. Ironically, my favorite half-hour episode of DANGER MAN is called "The Prisoner!" Overall, the longer DANGER MAN series is my favorite. I just watched WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GEORGE FOSTER? and not only is it one of my favorite episodes, I think it epitomizes Drake and his character, particularly the line of dialogue he speaks at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks