Get a new player or not, need some help??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott Goldsmith, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

Currently I have a Denon DVD 1600, and I have been reading about players that upscale to 1080i, or better features, etc. I have a Mitsubishi 65" HDTV 65869 or something like that, can't remember off the top of my head, and all I can view movies in is 480p. I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX receiver, so any of the Elite payers with i-link won't benefit me [​IMG]

What do you guys think I should do???

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd stick w/ the 1600 atleast until reports are in on the Denon 1910, 2910, and 3910 and maybe pick one of those up depending on your budget (assuming your TV has a DVI input available). The 1600 is a great player so I wouldn't worry too much about what you're missing out on.

3. John S

John S Producer

What features besides scale'n to 1080i does you Denon 1600 not have?

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'm not sure what your t.v. has, but if it doesn't have a DVI or HDMI input, you are limited to one player I believe that upscales DVD to 1080i through a high band component video input and that's the Zenith player.

5. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

My player doesn't play anything but DVD Audio, so I won;t be able to explore the SACD formats, etc.

I believe my TV does have a DVI input on the back, it looks like a computer port correct?? I am just getting a little bored with my current player and was looking into my options, if nothing out there reasonably priced is worth it, then I will stick with the 1600.

Thanks for the help guys, keep the info coming, if there is any [​IMG]

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Based on posts here and other forums upscaling DVD players are definetly the rave of watching movies close to HD quality. I plan to get one and update my current 2nd generation Pioneer. I have two progessive scan players but both share vhs so I wouldn't put in the main HT. Anyway, maybe it would be worth waiting for the new line of Denon upscaling players.