Get A Load Of This Subwoofer Shootout...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chuck:

Thanks for the link. Great read.

Parker

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Thanks Chuck that was good reading, AND, I now realize I need the SVS!

My new mission is to somehow save up for the SVS!

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well there are a few things that I have some "beef" here.
    First of all 20hz signal won't give you a "punch in the chest",unless you laying next to the sub.[​IMG]
    I'm familiar with all of the demo scenes,especially the U-571,and I heard it on a few DIY subs[in the leuage of the SVS],and on WSR "Refernce Holosonic theatre",and none gave the chest thumping,instead they almost moved the floor,and shaked the couch[chair] I was sitting at the time,with the sense of all around you pressure in the air.
    Chest thumping is to me the same as boomy,which most dance clubs and commercial cinema features these days.
    The other thing,on the Velodyne graph.
    I thought the 20hz was at 102db versus 85db posted,and peaked @ 55hz at 113db,this wasn't even mentioned,and the 100hz "peak" was over 112db not 109db as posted.
    I assume these were typos,unless I'm missing something here?
    Also the fact that the Velodyne sounds "cleaner",it's a well known fact that they use "servo feeedback" to limit distorsion[usually @ 1%],and not to mention the limiter that is built in as well.
    While no doubt that the HGS-18 is a fine sub,for the money you can do better.
    Oh,yeah the SVS uses 12" drivers not 15".

5. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

Damn, that Klipsch RSW performed like crap! I was expecting this to be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better as I assumed Deon Beardon(sp?) had a hand in designing it and he knows his stuff. I should have known a big corporate such as Klipsch can't make a decent sub and make enough of a profit and keep it under $2000. God bless SVS and Adire!

Hey Lewis, how is your sub holding out? It would be right behind the SVS's in this test!

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Hey Terry,

it's doing fine.Yes it would be in the Ultra's neighborhood,for sure.

I had sent an email to your work regarding it,if you can reply to my work email address,I will send it to you tonite.

Thanks!

7. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Thanks for the link Chuck. Reading about the SVS CS-Ultra just makes me want one even more! Too bad the Adire Dharman wasn't included...

David

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Well, it's really no surprize to me that that SVS combo did well in that company, you can almost predict the outcome before the test. (TV would probably disagree that the driver in the HGS18 is the "most highly engineered in the world [​IMG] ).
    As for the Klipsch RSW-15, I had wondered in another thread about it as to the adequacy of just one 15" PR with what was purported to be a very high excursion driver. I still have no idea as to the single PR's capabilities, but that kind of behaviour, the rolloff or compression as the sub approaches what I'd assume to be its tuning frequency, might be indicative of inadequate displacement. Just a guess, it could be a numbers of things, I suppose.
    Adequate displacement is also why I'd agree that Lewis' sub would probably do extremely well against these.
    A $549 Dharman against an HGS18 or dual-Ultra combo? Jeez, give the little thing a break. [​IMG]

9. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Anyone have any idea what kind of room they tested these subs in? A dedicated sealed shoebox? The testers livingroom? [​IMG] I just wanted an idea of the cubic feet the measured results came from.
    Kevin

10. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Though it seems like the Adire is likely to be the new king 'o the hill other similarly priced products like the the vft-2, CT-150, PW2200, etc.

The Adire has a lovely choice of finish as well...compared to my bland CT150!

11. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Thanks Jack.. I totally overlooked that! :b

Kevin

12. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Lewis,

I noticed the same thing. In fact, I couldn't find a single mention of [email protected] in the text that actually matched the data shown on the associated graph. What gives?

13. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Sting as sub demo material? Uh yeah right. This guy needs to invest in a DJ Magic Mike CD or a Bass Mechanic CD. Otherwise those numbers are hard to argue with. Has anyone seen a modern test with

14. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling the reason the graphs don't jive is because they likely didn't calibrate spectra to real world spl numbers and only used it as a frequency response test as it's really hard to calibrate it that way. They might hve used another SPL measurement device for those figures.

Who knows I might be wrong?

15. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

16. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Jack,

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I thought all SVS's subs used 12" drivers as well?

18. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

all the SVs use 12s right now...typo on the review. I'm sure they'll correct it when they have time,

TV