Get $5-20 from the Evil Music Industry

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Greg*go, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I read in ZENtertainment yesterday that as a result of an out-of-court settlement alleging price fixing in the music industry, anyone having purchased "prerecorded Music Products" (consisting of compact discs, cassettes and vinyl albums) between 1995 and 2000 is potentially eligible to receive from $5 - 20 from the top five U.S. CD distributors and music retailers Tower, MusicLand, and Trans World. This link has more info...http://www.musiccdsettlement.com

Has anyone else heard about this at all? I filled out the first section of questions which just asks if you made a music purchase from these companies between 1995-2000, then it started to ask more personal questions. I'd like to know a bit more about it before I give them my mailing address and would like to know if anyone else has filed a claim yet and what the bad side of filing a claim could be.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I did the same thing. Filled out the first section, bailed out when faced with all the personal questions. Social security number? Why do they need that? The payoff isn't worth the (potential) hassle.

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Heard about this months ago. Its been around the net and cnn and other sites a few times now. No ones gonna get anything...too many people are gonna sign up. If it hits a certain number no one gets anything.

Its doesn't ask for your social, it asks for the last 4 numbers. Without the first 5 it can't be used anyways.

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I've heard about it, and I want no part of it. All of my CD purchases have been voluntary transactions where I freely handed over the full amount that the vendor was asking. If I had felt that the price was too high, then I wouldn't have purchased the CD.

This refund must be for all of those people who are forced at gunpoint to purchase CDs at prices higher than they would otherwise choose to pay.

Brad

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

it's a fixed amount of money and the amount of the per person settlement depends on the number of claiments. if the amount drops to below $5 each, nobody gets anything, it all goes to charity.

6. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

7. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Allen, did you sign up? I'm trying to find someone that did sign up. Where did you get the 32,000 number from? I heard from the link I provided that they are giving "combined cash payments total $67,375,000. In addition, Distributor Defendants will provide $75,700,000 worth of prerecorded music compact discs."

So if < 1,868,751 people sign up, then everyone gets $20. And no more than 13,475,000 people can sign up to get $5. At least that's my understanding. I'm not really sure what the $75,700,000 is for though. Will they be giving out music at the stores?

9. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

10. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

You know, looking at the CD's I actually bought during that time period, you would have thought someone was holding a gun to my head... [​IMG]

Sadly such was not the case. Heh.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

13. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

16. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

17. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Brad, I'm pretty sure I agree with many of your points in your second post. Your second post, however is different in scope than your prior one.

You said "To say that the evil music industry owes me money because I voluntarily agreed to pay them more than I should have is a dangerous idea." Emphasis mine.

The point of my post was that the "because I voluntarily agreed to pay" part is a mischaracterization of the matter. If defendants owe money it's because of various violations of law, not how you or I perceived the exchange or wish our market is set up.

My "informed consent" remark was a passing shot, ill-supported and not very clear. In answer to your question, no, I do not suggest a potential customer should know manfufacturing costs, et cetera in order to make a voluntary purchase.

A potential customer can expect certain things, however, including prices that are not the result of breaking antitrust or consumer protection laws. Violating those laws attacks the basic understanding of the transaction, preventing informed consent to the transaction. And you are right, if this just has to do with advertised prices, we are in the realm of the absurd.

Now, I'm not arguing how the economy should work, how the nation's laws should be changed, or whether I suspect those 43 attorneys general are motivated by headlines and cash for some state programs.

I am only communicating my surprise that you would consider punishing someone for breaking laws "dangerous." I bet I'd feel differently if we were dealing with new laws or this matter was somehow precedent setting -- but it isn't as far as I can tell.

-j

18. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

OK. I'll clarify my meaning. My original statement:

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter