Gerry - Anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mitch Stevens, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I rented this today. It's interesting, to say the least. It's practically a "Silent Film" made in modern times. I don't think the script had more than two pages of dialog.

It stars Casey Afflec & Matt Damon.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I was determined to get through it, and I did. I didn't get much out of it, but it wasn't too bad a way to pass the time. The scene where Gerry Affleck was stuck on the rock was interesting, and most of the rest of the movie was decent, but the scene where the two Gerrys dragged on on the dried salt lake went on too long.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I saw it in the theater, and though I feel nothing happened in the movie, I think it was an interesting exercise in terms of how to make nothing interesting to watch. Van Sant does some neat things with rhythm, framing, and the like.

It's artsy as hell, but interesting if you can get past the lack of a narrative.

4. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

My local Blockbuster doesn't even have it. I was looking forward to finally seeing this.

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I think it's a terrific film, and it currently sits atop my best of 2003 list. Still, I'm well aware that Gerry isn't for all tastes. I found its existential nature to be transporting and quite profound, but I'm sure more people find it to be monumentally boring. Saw it twice theatrically and really need to take another look at it.

To nitpick, calling it practically dialogue-free is fine, but to peg it as a "silent movie" isn't quite right. I think the sound design is critical.

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I really tried to like it, and while I wouldn't call it a BAD film...it failed to engage me in any meaningful way.

I like Van Sant's other flick from this year a whole lot more! [​IMG]

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I agree with Mark, this is a very fine, moving, contemplative film and one of the best of the year. It also had a fair amount of humor and I really appreciated how the friends had their own private language, just as my own friends and I have phrases and things that are only meaningful to us.

Elephant is a good, sometimes very good film as well. But I definitely think Gerry is the stronger, in some ways more provocative, film of the two.

8. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

I completely agree with Mark and Brook since Gerry (grade= A, it's at #11 right now) is one of my best films of the year as well.

9. Eric Howell

Eric Howell Stunt Coordinator

I liked a lot about this film, especially the sound/cinematography. The part that killed it for me was the incredible stupidity of the characters. Made me cringe each and every time they made a decision. All together, not dreadful, but not a film for me.

10. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

just finished watching this. an intellectually and aesthetically satisfying film, if not so much emotionally.

i'm going to be spending some time thinking about it over the next little while, which is perhaps as high praise as a movie can have bestowed upon it.

what're your thoughts on damon's killing affleck? i'm not sure i really got it....

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Killing? I thought he died of dehydration or starvation or something.

12. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

i dunno - looked like damon strangled him. don't you think? i mean, i originally thought damon was just trying to get up and affleck was helping him, but then i saw that damon's hands were around affleck's neck. and then affleck was dead.

13. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Hmmm. Never thought Damon's charcater killed Affleck's. Pretty interesting. Still, I thought it was good, but I didn't really warm up to it.

14. MichaelBryant

MichaelBryant Stunt Coordinator

It's obvious that Damon strangled him. How could anyone have missed that?

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, nothing had happened in the movie up until then, so a character actually doing something that late in it seems unlikely.

FWIW, I thought little Gerry died from dehydration, too.

16. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    If it did happen, I was probably tired of looking at the same shot of someone walking for 3 minutes at a time that I figured I didn't need to pay that much attention. [​IMG]

17. BobV

BobV Second Unit

No way did Damon kill Affleck. Affleck said "I'm leaving" ie I'm dieing. Affleck tried desparately to lift him up and carry him on and 'help him actually leave that physical spot, but couldn't, his friend dies. That's what I go out of it and how I saw it.

That said...

most..boring..movie..ever.

I got what they were trying to tell me minutes before they stopped trying to tell me, in every scene. As one who has been marooned up in the mountains 60 miles from anyone, just walking trying to make my way back, I can sympathize, but my goodness, sheesh! That all said, the dialogue was very good when it was there, as were the 'decision' scenes.

A 30 minute movie squished into 103 minutes. [​IMG]