German SVS importer?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Juan C, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

I just found a rather positive review of the PB10ISD on areadvd.

The part that made me raise my eyebrows was at the very end:

(svsubwoofers.de is still under construction as I write)

So, apparently SVS now has an importer for Germany. Obviously they must be a reliable company - I don't think SVS would risk their reputation by linking with a fly-by-night outfit.

Now what we must know is if their prices will be better than if ordering direct from SVS America, and whether they will offer any kind of after-sales service if anything goes wrong.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Now if SVS could only set up a distribution channel in Canada they wouldn't lose a bunch of sales to HSU.

Brent

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Juan,

We're still in negotiations but rest assured no SVS Distributor will last long if the well-regarded reputation for our sales/service ever suffers. The fact is we're embarking on authorized distributors in some key markets so we can keep up with demand and improve service. We don't know about final pricing yet but some flexibility there will be needed. You don't get local showrooms, in-country shipping and parts servicing for nothing.

I have personally met with several prospective Distributors and the entire SVS team is behind this effort which has been in the works for nearly a year and just now starting to come into the end game. The product selection will be pared down to the most popular items, but the companies we choose to partner with will maintain all the best of what's made us the go-to guys for subwoofers, and soon main speakers. In their respective regions SVS products will only be available through them.

Canada actually isn't that high a priority since really shipping there for us today is little different than shipping to the lower 48 US. Order comes in, the Ohio factory prepares the subwoofer, it goes out to Toronto (where our amps are built ironically enough), Manitoba, wherever. Done. Yeah there's a small "brokerage fee" added on in most cases (we're working on lowering that) and shipping's a bit more expensive (it's further away to Manitoba than most US states) but given how many SVS's ship on a weekly basis to Canada now, it's not exactly a big issue for most people. A distributor in Canada would be hard-pressed to offer prices as good as today, much less better. In the end, shipping from a warehouse in say Winnipeg isn't going to look or cost much different than shipping from our factory in Ohio is my point.

Europe and the UK is a whole different game due to astronomical shipping rates for freight on individual subs.

On a price/performance ratio SVS isn't taking a back seat to any brand in Canada that I'm aware of. Certainly given the number of great brands built there it's an even more competitive market than here. But we remain AFAIK, as good or better choice as any brand sold north of the border.

Ron
    SVS

4. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

@ Juan C

Hi Juan,

if you need some help you can always contact me, as I am trying to help Ron on his start in Germany and the german speaking countries around it.

You can find me within the www.HiFi-Forum.de

Look for the Subwoofer section under Heimkino/Surround, and you will find some SVS Threads there...

Regards,
    Axel

AKA "Bass-Oldie"

5. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

Thanks Ron. That's an excellent initiative.

Axel, thanks for the info and the link. I do live in a (mostly) German-speaking country... but in its French-speaking part [​IMG]

Any Swiss partners in sight?

6. AxelKro

Bonjour Juan,

nous prendrons l'entretenir la Suisse du distributeur basé par Allemagne.
    Nous avons déjà des clients près de Bienne et à Bâle.

Salu,
    Axel

7. HoraceHungry

HoraceHungry Auditioning

I'm not sure if this is good news, or bad. Can we still order our subs directly from the US, or will all European sales be handled by the German distributor?

From what I can tell ordering a sub from the German distributor will cost you up to 40% more compared to ordering from the US, if you're living someplace in Europe, but outside of Germany. For me that would be a disaster.

8. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

AxelKro's post translated in English:

Hello Juan,

We will take to maintain it the Switzerland of the distributor based by Germany. We already have customers close to Bienne and to Bâle.

Salu,
    Axel

Just wanted to see how correct the online translators are. is this close?

9. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

HH,

Feel free to drop me a line and I can probably allay your fears somewhat (be sure to let me know where you are living though).

The German Distributor we are working with would service... Germany. There's an outside chance this distributor might gain access to the BENELUX but that has not been decided.

No prices have been set, there are of course people making estimates, can't stop that. If you consider shipping, tax and duty today I don't think you should expect a 40% price hike once we have everything in place.

Ron

10. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

So if you are expanding overseas, I guess you have the facilities to supply the North America market well enough (I think I remember back order issues and long build times, I could be wrong), but if you are opening channels to Europe, I assume its good to go!

11. AxelKro

@ Himanshu_S

Yeah, that's pretty close to get the gist [​IMG]
    Ron mentioned the distributor would just cover Germany, however, the possibility to cover the german speaking area was discussed too. We will have to wait until the final contracts have been signed.

12. HoraceHungry

HoraceHungry Auditioning

Hi Ron

I've sendt you an email. I must say that I'm really impressed that you find the time to deal with all us worst case nutty customers. It may be an good idea to put some of the load on some Germans [​IMG]

Thomas

13. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Ken, I think that long build times and back order issues are the price to be paid for a good product at an exceptional price. If SVS has too much product lined up to be immediately shipped out, that is money sitting around doing nothing. The typical consumer is used to walking in a store and leaving with whatever is wanted. I know that I expect that. SVS seems to have a business model that works without that feature. Good for them. Of course, making people wait too long for a product has its own risks. The market will determine how long is "too long." There seems to be enough people out there willing to adapt to SVS to make it a sucessful business.
    (When SVS-Ron posts in the Lounge section about his new Ferrari, then we will know that it is REALLY sucessful.)

14. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Thats if an Army guy can drive a Ferrari? haha..

Just giving you a bad time Ron...

Mike

15. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

DanielKellmii:

The backorder issue is a complement! They are so popular, they cannot build them fast enough!

16. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Mike,

Ex-Army. That's the beauty of being a solider and not a Marine, you can BE an ex-soldier. You are always a Marine (well, everyone one but Lee H. Oswald right? ;^).

And I grew up in Detroit, GM family. So I'm more a Corvette kind of guy. Big, powerful, capable and beating up the other guys for less money (hmm, sounds familiar?). The day you see a Ferrari in my driveway is the day you can be sure I now have more money than good sense. SVS runs a pretty lean operation though so even a Corvette would mean just that I upped my hours from a fairly slack 75hrs/week to 100hrs/week and actually earned my pay for a change ;^p

Outages since our very early days are actually quite rare. Except for pre-order periods on new models,we nearly never keep people waitig today, and we're nearly never out of stock of a single critical component (credit mostly to Greg Bedenis who we stole from a Toyota suppler and is our full time Material Manager now. Outages were more common when, well, I was doing some of his job). There's a shortage of Ultra products right now just because our supplier (TC-Sounds) on that woofer could not keep up with demand. We're working on that.

And Dan is right. Not being able to ship out a product in this "instant gratification world" of ours (while we have lots of other inventory to pay for) is what they call a "bad thing". Our planned move overseas is being done to help reduce times on shipping subs or even service parts and enable, finally, customers over there to perhaps kick the tires on actual product. Is an SVS still a good deal after all this settles (understanding prices haven't even been set!)?? That's certainly our intent, the market will indeed dictate.

Horace. I'll get to your note today if humanly possible (where on Fridays we proclaim, "TGIF! Only two more work days till Monday!"). Much of our work to establish an official beach-head in European markets is still underway. We know people would like all this to happen and even lower prices but if you knew how much work and expense was involved you might have to cut us a bit of slack. Or not. We're used to challenges, this one's no different. Besides, the latest news of more record US trade deficits just pisses us off.

One thing's for sure we didn't buy a 20,000ft2 factory for nothing. This facility (along with Greg) is the only reason we've kept up with even US demand over the last year and been able to introduce volume sellers like the PB10-ISD (which sells as many in a month as some of our subs used to in a year). It's to build and warehouse better and better and wider variety products, and be more responsive to those we know who'd like to get their hands on our stuff. Frankly we're already running out of space, though some of the reasons for this are driven by other operations I can't quite reveal yet.

Look for more solid information on the above in July.

We might even pull off an open-house so fine folks here, at AVS, HTSpot, Audioholics, Sound and Vision etc etc et al can finally see our place, score a free burger, ground-plane your DIY, whatever. Tom say's he'll have his 900hp Chevelle in the parking lot so everyone can pull burnouts ($10 a run).

He might have been kidding about that last bit though.

We'll see, never a dull moment in the R/D labs of SVS Ohio.

Ron "Don't mess with the rust-belt" Stimpson

17. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Oh Ron... you understand things very well... I was always proud to be a Marine but now that I am older and wiser I understand how important all branches and service people are. I am just so glad you were able to retire before having to do the Iraq thing.... And I am not so sure you can't always be a soldier. After spending your 20 or whatever, it will always be with you.

Anyway glad your doing the best subs now... Still would like that oak PB12/+2Ultra but like we talked about earlier.. Since its not offered in oak I may have to settle for the single woof model and hope I still can shake rattle and roll on my movies...

Your a great guy with a good company... Wish you much success! (funny though as I was a trained sniper in the Marine Corp and went on to teaching it there)
    MikeL

18. Vaughan Odendaal

Vaughan Odendaal Second Unit

Hmmm. What about South African importers, Ron? You know, it's something to consider.[​IMG] BTW, you've got mail.

--Sincerely,