What's new

German "StudioCanal Collection" from Kinowelt with films from Bunuel, Kurosawa, Lynch, Pollack, Resn (1 Viewer)

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
German Label Kinowelt will release eight Blu-ray discs in their new "StudioCanal Collection" on 09/18/09.
These are the titles:
  • "Belle de jour” [F / I 1967, Luis Bunuel]
  • "Three Days of the Condor” [USA 1975, Sydney Pollack]
  • "L’année dernière à Marienbad / Last Year at Marienbad” [F / I 1961, Alain Resnais]
  • “Ran” [J / F 1985, Akira Kurosawa]
  • "Le mépris” [F / I 1963, Jean-Luc Godard]
  • “Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum / The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum” [GER 1975, Volker Schlöndorff, Margarethe von Trotta]
  • "The Elephant Man” [USA 1980, David Lynch]
  • "The Deer Hunter” [USA / GB 1978, Michael Cimino]
All will feature bonus materials as you can see here (in German). Take a look at the cover artworks.

blimey

Grip
Real Name
Chaoran Li
Covers and designs are almost the same as Optimum's StudioCanal Collection in UK. Germany seems to have one more title than UK which is Three Days of the Condor.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All these titles are coming from Studio Canal (obviously); where they have rights they'll be released by Kinowelt in Germany, Optimum in the UK, Studio Canal in France, and interestingly DVD Times reports here:
"All 3 discs we tested (Le Mepris, The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum and Ran) played on Region A and B machines...The 3 discs we've got all open with a list of countries to choose from which determines what studio logos are played, what piracy warnings you see and of course the language the menu is displayed in. I mention this because it's worth noting that Ran and Le Mepris both have a 'USA' option which leads to the Lionsgate logo suggesting you'll see some of these released in North America through them at some point"
More detail on the Collection here.
3 Days of The Condor, you'll note, has the Sydney Pollack commentary that blessed the old Kinowelt DVD, and is available now from Amazon.de.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That these titles and others play on Region 1 machines is one thing, but if they are in the PAL format they are going to be distorted in some way, either displaying terrible shimmying and aliasing or broken motion, or both. I would love to own THE ELEPHANT MAN on Blu, especially as it appears Paramount is backing off its domestic plans for release (as well as those for SUNSET BOULEVARD), but I'd rather upconvert the standard releases than have to put up with pulldown issues.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Dick
That these titles and others play on Region 1 machines is one thing, but if they are in the PAL format they are going to be distorted in some way, either displaying terrible shimmying and aliasing or broken motion, or both.
These are Blu-ray discs with the films presented in HD. PAL is a SD format.

blimey

Grip
Real Name
Chaoran Li
according to this site StudioCanal Collection, not only The Ladykillers and The Go-Between will be the next two titles in this series, but also at least some titles from the series will be available to Australia, Japan, and the USA in early 2010.

Awesome!

The title of this thread is misleading, because Kinowelt is just the German distributor of this collection, which was produced by Studio Canal.

Still, I hope others have been enjoying this fabulous collection and encouraging this burgeoning project to transform itself into the flower that is Criterion.

Ran and Deer Hunter both: FABULOUS PQ, massive upgrade from DVD. Disc says Region A and B, but I don't have the facilities to test that, as I only have a region B player.

Le Mepris: haven't checked it yet, but PQ has been reviewed on DVDTimes.co.uk as really good. Disc says same as above, Region A and B.

Last Year at Marienbad and Belle du Jour: discs say region B only.

To clarify some misconceptions about this collection: the discs will not get damaged, as the company has changed plans, I'm guessing, based on online feedback. The packaging still contains the slit that the discs would have slipped into, but a plastic dome has been glued on, which the disc sits comfortably on, emulating the bluray and dvd cases we have all come to know and love. No need to not buy because of this.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm sorry, I'm not a geek -- are you saying that if I were to order a Blu-ray copy of, say, THE ELEPHANT MAN from overseas, it would be both region-free and be NTSC compatable? I could play this on an unmodified Sony Blu-ray player here in the U.S.? I'm confused.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In their review of Le Mepris, DVD Times notes that not only is the BD region free, but the SD extras are in NTSC; whether that's the same for all these releases, I'm not sure. I would wait for a review, just to be sure.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
So.... whoever answers your questions IS a geek? Hmmmm.
Oh, what the hell. PAL and NTSC aren't concerns when it comes to blu-ray. HD is a different animal entirely. What IS a concern is region coding. As long a disc is region-free, or coded to play in region 1, it will work in any blu-ray player.
Originally Posted by Dick /forum/thread/290463/german-studiocanal-collection-from-kinowelt-with-films-from-bunuel-kurosawa-lynch-pollack-resnais-cimino-godard-and-schloendorff#post_3610009
I'm sorry, I'm not a geek -- are you saying that if I were to order a Blu-ray copy of, say, THE ELEPHANT MAN from overseas, it would be both region-free and be NTSC compatable? I could play this on an unmodified Sony Blu-ray player here in the U.S.? I'm confused.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Bah, DVD times' review for RAN is not good. /img/vbsmilies/htf/angry.gif
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71575/ran.html

I believe there exists a French blu-ray of this film of dubious quality, and not so long ago a very good standard definition edition was released by Optimum on these isles. Comparing this release to the standard definition release, I believe there is evidence of sharpening, greater edge enhancement, and a generally darker appearance overall. Looking at both together, I have to say that the more film-like of the two is definitely the technologically inferior one. This presentation does yield more detail, but in brighter sequences colours look excessive and in darker ones the image is very dark indeed.

Wow, I didn't find that at all. Colours are much truer in the brighter sequences. Don't worry, if you like the film, get it and see for yourself.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Dick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgetting about the geek part, yes, probably.
Like Craig said, NTSC and PAL standards don't apply.
NTSC and PAL were in fact broadcasting standards originally. The only reason they made it to VHS and SDVD was because of the compatility (with existing TV sets).
They have not been ported to HD DVD and Blu-ray.
The region coding was introduced with SDVD, and has been modified (but retained) on the HD formats.
HD DVD discs were region free. Unfortunately in this case, that's the format I have Last Year in Marienbad on, so I cannot tell you if this particular BD is region-free or not. (But chances are it is region-free indeed, coming on HD DVD first.)
I still don't have a Region-B player, just an imported Region-A one. I play all imported US BD discs and many EU discs on that same player, without problems. (For the few region-B locked discs I buy, I will have to get me a region-B player soon, but I'm waiting to see if I can have a modified player of one of the top brands instead.) Of one or two European bought not-region-locked BD's, I have not been able to play extras, probably because they were in a local SDVD standard not recognized by my US player.
Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

If indeed there is PAL in the extras, I'm pretty sure the US Panasonic won't properly decode it.
So yes, that could be it.

(It happened to me on both UK "Life on Mars" BDs. Played fine, but of the extras I only get the sound and a black screen.)

Cees

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Here are three screenshot comparisons. Note that the German Blu-ray discs are the same as the ones from Optimum Releasing. The different labels are just the distributors for the "StudioCanal Collection" discs.

The Elephant Man
Kinowelt/StudioCanal Germany Blu-ray "StudioCanal Collection" vs. Universal/StudioCanal Germany DVD vs. Paramount USA DVD

Contempt / Le mépris
Kinowelt/StudioCanal Germany Blu-ray "StudioCanal Collection" vs. Universal/StudioCanal Sweden DVD "Godard Collection" vs. Kinowelt Germany DVD vs. Criterion USA DVD

Three Days of the CondorKinowelt/StudioCanal Germany Blu-ray "StudioCanal Collection" vs. Kinowelt Germany DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks