What's new

German Language Films with German Subs? (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Hi,

My son is learning German. I thought it might be helpful if he could watch German films with German sub-titles, but I haven't found any Region 1 films with German subs.

Anybody know of any?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There apparently just isn't a large enough German-speaking population within Region 1 to justify the effort, even for those with hearing problems. Spanish, French, and English subs are found on many discs to help us through most foreign-language films, but when one buys or rents a German-language movie, it is assumed people who speak the language will not need subtitles. I don't think too many French DVD's contain French subs, but I could be wrong.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
There's a German sub in DAS BOOT...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Seriously, though, I've spot checked some of my German language Region 1 DVDs and don't find any with German subtitles. You might want to consider getting an all-region player and importing some DVDs from Germany.

Even though there are no German subtitles on the DVD, I would recommend THE LIVES OF OTHERS to someone trying to learn the language because (1) it's a great film (2) the German spoken in the film is non-idiomatic and spoken very clearly and distinctly.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
This probably doesn't really help. I am a classical music fan and I know many german operas (such as Wagner) have german audio and subtitles. I also have the R2 "Das Boot" but I don't know what R1 has but perhaps "Das Boot". I've just checked - it does't have German subtitles! I will think about this. Sometime in the near future, there will be the German TV series "Derrick" and the later programs had subtitles. Another suggestion try a google search.

If your setup covers PAL/Region 2, there are certainly many DVDs here. It might be that "Das Boot" here is without region 2 - I will search for my copy.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
My suggestion for opera (Wagner) may not be so good. I have problems with operas sung in English! Mozart might be better - his German operas. Quite often there talking - not singing.

My real tip - if you have a PC that can read DVDs is the film “Animalympics” which in German is “Dschungel-Olympiade”. It is PAL with no region code and has english and german audio and english and german subtitles. It can be found on Amazon.de by searching ("suche") for “Dschungel-Olympiade”. The current address is:

Die Dschungel-Olympiade: Amazon.de: Steven Lisberger: DVD & Blu-ray

My PC has the DVD program "Cyberlink Power DVD" and is possible to display both the german and english subtitles at the same time.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Sumnernor,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Bob,

Thanks for the sub in Das Boot comment. That made me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks