German DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul T, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Paul T

Paul T Auditioning

My brother will be going to Germany in a few days and i was wondering if there were any dvds
    on sale there (with an English language audio track) that are not available in America or England,
    or maybe ones with additional features like the DTS Sleepy Hollow?

2. Russ Felton

Russ Felton Stunt Coordinator

I believe you can get a widscreen version of David Lynch's Lost Highway in germany.

3. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

You can get the Fifth Element in DTS-ES discrete.

4. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Edit: Oops! John beat me to it. Anyway, the cover has it wrong and it's NOT discrete, but matrixed DTS ES...
    Earlier this month, an SE of "Fifth Element" (Das fünfte Element) was released. It contains English DTS ES (matrix) and DD EX soundtracks, and quite a bit of extra material on a second DVD.
    -Christian
    [Edited last by Christian Behrens on September 25, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

5. Florian Finkenzeller

- Buffy Seasons 1&2 (same as UK/AUS, just with an additional german language track)
    - Christiane F (german soundtrack only and subtitles in English and German)
    - Hannibal (includes an English DTS ES matrix 6.1 track, you will however need a player which can disable the forced German subtitles)
    - 1492: Conquest of Paradise in Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Surround (both English and German)
    If you are able to speak French or German, I would also recommend "Les Miserables", a terrific tv series with Gérard Departdieu, John Malkovich and Christian Clavier. It was a casual buy for me, but I was blown away by both content and presentation. The picture is anamorphic 1.66:1 (in no way cropped and in excellent quality) and the sound remixed to DD 5.1 in both French and German.
    Now if your brother would journey to France I could recommend a host of other titles. The French seem to really have gotten the hang of making DVDs, just look at the upcoming DVD of "Brotherhood of the Wolf"... (http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?page=News&id=2145)
    Florian
    [Edited last by Florian Finkenzeller on September 25, 2001 at 03:38 PM]

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've been thinking of getting that German version of The Fifth Element.
    Can you tell me if the supplements are in english of subtitled in english?

7. Florian Finkenzeller

Almost forgot one:
    Stargate Director's Cut in anamorphic widescreen and DTS in English.
    Only problem with that version seems to be that the additional scenes from the DC are upconverted from a non-anamorphic master. Several reviews indicated that you can easily spot the added scenes because of the drastically degraded image quality. (Overall the quality seems to be however by far better than the old release from Pioneer we had over here.)
    Florian

8. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

please note that the DTS soundtrack on the german Sleepy Hollow is the german one! The english soundtrack on that disc is DD 5.1 "only".
    Mathias

9. Christoph Oelckers

Christoph Oelckers Auditioning

10. Florian Finkenzeller

Cristoph,
    are you per chance talking about the old Fifth Element release? Image quality of the new 2 Disc SE still can't beat the R1 image (from what I've heard), but it comes close to equaling it (and it's quite in another league than the old release). As for the supplements: The new release still contains those 3 making of's, a feature about the world premiere at Cannes, a lengthy excerpt from a press conference at Cannes and some sort of MTV special. However, I'd have to say: nothing that kept me glued to the screen.
    I think the disc only really shines in the sound department, so it depends on what you prefer...
    Florian

11. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

The old R2 TFE release was terrible picture wise. The new SE is better but there are a lot of problems with the new transfers.
    Compared to the classic R1 release (non-superbit):
    Pros R2:
    -good shadow detail
    Cons R2:
    -a lot more EE
    -digital look with lots of aliasing
    -bright parts often clipped
    -wrong hue, often greenish picture
    A major disappointment. Yuck.
    I haven't compared the soundmix in depth, but i doubt the supposed 6.1 matrix remix (who ever did this) sounds any better than the R1 5.1 mix. And than there is PAL speedup...
    I agree with Christoph, the extras are mostly promotional, not really worth anything. I didn't care for the Cannes thing either.
    ------------------
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
    My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page

12. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

There's also the German 4 hour extended version of;
    *Dances With Wolves [Der mit dem Wolf tanzt]
    5.1 DD German
    5.1 DD English/w German subtitles
    240 mins.
    Anamorphic Enhanced
    Director's Cut
    Though all of that on a single disc ? Can any HTF member in Germany give us an audio/video review of your *Der mit dem Wolf tanzt ?
    I myself might be travelling to Germany later this year and I'll be looking to pick this one up as a supplementary to my R1 Dts DWW.
    ~ One good place that I know of to purchase Dvd's near Frankfurt is Karstadt in Giessen. It's like a BB and Sears all rolled into one. The sales staff there is happy to help you find what you're looking for, and most of the younger employees speak quite good English.
    bodymov'n [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike Friedrich on September 26, 2001 at 08:51 AM]
    [Edited last by Mike Friedrich on September 26, 2001 at 09:19 AM]

13. Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle Stunt Coordinator

The German DVD of Don't Look Now is amazing!!! Great anamophic picture and has a slightly long cut of the sex scene.
    Lost Highway is a good German disc, but the 5.1 English sound seemed to be out of synch......
    Florian, I am shortly going to Paris, please let me/us have a list of recommended French titles, (with either Enlish language or subtitles.....) Also, where is the best place in Paris to buy them from???!!
    Rich

14. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

The german R2 'Eyes Wide Shut' uncut also comes to mind. I think its widescreen instead of open matte?
    Also probably of interest:
    - DTS 6.1 discrete 'Sleepy Hollow' 2 Disc set
    - Jackie Brown
    ------------------
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
    My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page
    [Edited last by Bjoern Roy on September 26, 2001 at 07:41 AM]

15. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

Wow, thanks guys for the warning about the German Fifth Element. I was about to order it.

16. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

Red Heat has a good anamorphic transfer and some extras. It's in english DD 5.1

17. Florian Finkenzeller

Image quality on the Kinowelt release of Dances with Wolves is rather poor. The print is very soft and does suffer from quite a few compression artifacts. Watchable, but nothing more. (I sold my copy.)
    As for french DVDs, you should look out for:
    - Crying Freeman 2 Disc SE, flawless anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1, English and French DD5.1, beautiful animated menus, collectible booklet, with lots of supplements (most in French though).
    - Cube Edition Prestige, nice anamorphic widescreen 1.85:1 (and as far as I can tell a genuine anamorphic transfer), English and French Dolby Surround, a short film by the director, story board comparisions, audio commentary, deleted scenes (with commentary), interviews, etc...
    If you are good at french I would also recommend:
    - Les Rivieres Pourpres 2 Disc SE, THX-certified anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1, French in DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 with isolated music score, audio commentary. Quite easily the DVD I use most for audio demonstration purposes.
    and of course the French Sleepy Hollow DVD which contains DD5.1 und DTS5.1 soundtracks in French and English. (Note that the german Sleepy Hollow DVD does contain a DTS soundtrack, but only in German!)
    Florian

18. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

the french Crying Freeman is fabulous. One of the nicest cases i have ever seen, plus a nice booklet. Must-bye!
    Florian,
    i forgot that the german Sleepy Hollow only has DTS in german, too bad! Is the french version also a 2 disc set?
    does the french 'Les Rivieres Pourpres' set have and english soundtrack or at least english subtitles?
    ------------------

19. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

As far as I remember, Scream 3 is available in Germany in DTS in German and English. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragen will be Available in DTS in German and English in November.

20. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...the uncut, unedited, undubbed, original music scored DER SCHWAGENEN STERN-Stanslaw Lem's FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS...
    aka: THE SILENT STAR, or THE ASTRONAUTS...
    ------------------