What's new

Georgia Tech Prevent Defense!? yuck (1 Viewer)

Brian_J

Second Unit
Fire the defensive coordinator please! and send the next coordinator in college football who uses prevent defense straight to the guillotine!
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I didn't play football in high school or in college, but a couple of buddies of mine did. Their take on the prevent defense? It works because it sure prevents somebody from winning
laugh.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The main problem was Tech running back (Joe Burns) running OUT OF BOUNDS on a 3rd and long situation like an idiot while Tech was trying to burn as much time off the clock. Burns cost Tech 30 seconds of precious time off the clock, which definitely came in handy for the Terps for their game-tying drive on their last possession. All Burns had to do was take the hand-off and drop on a knee. Sigh.
Burns coughed up the ball which led to the 1st Terps TD, and when he coughed up the ball in overtime, he assured Tech of the loss right there and then. I'm so depressed by this game. Maryland should give Burns a game ball.
frown.gif

------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Darren H

Second Unit
Georgia Tech's execution of the prevent defense was damn near brilliant compared to Tennessee's last weekend.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
It's hard to blame the defense in this game considering the offense had 6 turnovers. To hold Maryland to 20 points is pretty good with that many turnovers.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
As a University of Georgia grad, I certainly hope Georgia Tech brings that defense with them when we play them at the end of the year. Go Dawgs!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to agree with Patrick. Between the 1st quarter fumble (returned for a touchdown), running out of bounds to stop the clock with 1.5 minutes left in the game, and fumbling in overtime, the Georgia Tech tailback did more to lose that game than the prevent defense. I would also question the play call where Burns ran out of bounds. Why call a sweep on that play, giving a young player the opportunity to run out of bounds? The situation was third and long -- getting a first down on a sweep was unlikely anyway.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
What does one make of a team that loses a key game in overtime (Clemson, 44-47) where the offense plays well and the defense does not, then loses another in overtime with the roles reversed?
I miss Ralph Friedgen. A lot.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Yes I know the offense puked up a big one in this game, but they fought back in the late 3rd and 4th quarter largely thanks to some very aggressive defense. But that aggressive defense becomes all for not when you suddenly CHANGE WHAT YOU WERE DOING! and play prevent. That coach owes his defense, the fans and alumni an apology for doing that. And yes Burns did contribute to losing the game but if they had played their normal D it would not have mattered.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I just hope they can keep playing the way they have been when they come to play Florida State in December.
>>>>--------GO Noles-------->

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I'm going to start throwing eggs at George O'Leary at the next game if he calls that off-tackle run crap one more time. I don't know how many games its going to take him to realize we are not Nebraska, but he needs to start watching his own film instead of other teams; I think it will help him more.
Potential NFL 1st round receiver + preseason Heisman candidate QB + young OLine = lets try a power running game? What is wrong with this equation?
And FSU, we haven't forgotten about you. If we only beat FSU and UGA and lose every other game, I'll still consider this a sucessful season.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks